Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Cast Bullets

1_pointer

I ran across the topic of cast bullets. Does anyone use or have used these in the past? What are the positives and negatives of using these bullets? From what I have read they require slightly different loading methods and can foul up a barrel. My reason for asking is that my father is sending a 30/30 out to me (he never shoots it) and was thinking that the 140gr. bullets from Bear Tooth Bullets would make some fun and CHEAP (100 for $10) bullets to shoot.

I have just started casting myself, but from what I have found out, is to first slug your barrel. Most cast bullet shooters I have talked with shoot .001 or .002 larger dia. bullet than barrel dia. to cut down on leading, this swages the bullet into the riflings and makes for a good seal and keeps gases from leaking around the bullet and causing leading. Next you will need to get a neck flaring die so that you don't shave lead from the bullet while loading it into the casing. If you have access to the lead and equipment to melt it, moulds run anywhere from $12-$13 dollars for Lees to $60 and up for RCBS, Lyman and others. You can sure beat $10.00 per 100 if you cast your own. I'm not wanting to upset Moosie, but Graybeard's website has a very good cast bullet forum and they are quite willing to help a new caster or someone that just wants to shoot cast bullets for fun. null

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaronf257
Back