Cartridge production vs. rifle caliber future

CRMarks

With the continuing supply chain issues, hoarding, etc., it seems that ammo manufacturers are still keeping to restricting their production to only a very select few cartridges for an even smaller number of calibers. Doesn't seem like the manufacturers are going to be able to spin up their other production lines anytime soon at this rate. So, outside of reloading, do you guys think that we are just going to have to shelve all of our rifles in those myriad cartridges not in production or even discontinued for good?

I feel lucky that I have a .30-06 that gives me a lot of hunting versatility when I can find ammo, but even this morning I saw that most manufacturers have discontinued the cartridges with 125 gr bullets. I drew my first western state tag and will be going on my first DIY western hunt for some javelina.... with a 150 gr bullet that I'm hoping doesn't overgun the pig to the point of field dressing and grinding the meat right there.

It’s always about shot placement. I try to avoid meat as much as possible. Always try to shoot high lungs and miss all the eatable meat including the heart. But I’m saying that I have considered buying a 308 because of the drastic difference in availability of 308 vs anything else out there.

While looking around lately for a rifle in 280AI, several of the gunshops told me i could pick any rifle from the wall. It would be chambered in either 350 Legend, or 6.5 Manbun. :eek:

Most of your 125gr bullets for 30 caliber are going to be varmint or match bullets.
Pay attention to that, as they may not penetrate a big hog.

Thanks all. I'm seeing the same thing in every store I check: 450 Bushmaster, 350 Legend, .308, 6.5 CM (definitely not for me), .223, and .224 Valkyrie for some reason. Annoying as hell

I almost sold all of my 280 AI stuff because of the shortage of supplies/ammo for it in favor of a 30-06. I then decided that it was silly and I'd just hold off, since I liked the cartridge so much. It has seen a lot less use than my 25-06 lately, though.

If I were you, for javelina go with a nice, bonded or monolithic 150gr boolit in your 30-06. They'll waste less meat, typically, and they'll do the job just fine. Probably better than any 125gr 30 cal projectile, actually. Don't be afraid to use a bigger bullet than you think's necessary. As long as you place it correctly, you can avoid unnecessary meat waste.

I thought about making the change from 30-06 to 308 myself, but I think 30-06 is safe long term.

There are definitely a lot of cartridges that are not great long term holds anymore unless you are a reloader. Even then, it will be a lot more challenging moving forward.

I shoot a 30-06. If Barnes ever stops making 150 grain TTSX, I think I would have my local gunsmith work up a load for me.

I'm glad to see the .25-06 getting some love. That has been on my wish list for a few years but was really having a hard time finding ammo in my area at that time (pre-COVID). Hoping that it doesn't end up displaced by the ever growing 6.5 mm family. As for the .30-06 for my javelina hunt, I ended up with a 150 gr monolith after all. It is the only bullet style in that caliber I can find near me. We'll see if I fill the tag and put some meat on the smoker or end up eating a big pot of tag soup.

On the .25-06 note, I held off on buying it b/c I've been waffling between it and a .243. 243 was always easy to come by where I lived at that time. I don't do any varmint or coyote hunting. So this would be for javelina, pronghorn, and deer. Anyone have thoughts between the two?

I'm glad to see the .25-06 getting some love. That has been on my wish list for a few years but was really having a hard time finding ammo in my area at that time (pre-COVID). Hoping that it doesn't end up displaced by the ever growing 6.5 mm family. As for the .30-06 for my javelina hunt, I ended up with a 150 gr monolith after all. It is the only bullet style in that caliber I can find near me. We'll see if I fill the tag and put some meat on the smoker or end up eating a big pot of tag soup.

On the .25-06 note, I held off on buying it b/c I've been waffling between it and a .243. 243 was always easy to come by where I lived at that time. I don't do any varmint or coyote hunting. So this would be for javelina, pronghorn, and deer. Anyone have thoughts between the two?
It is the opinion of many people that the best option for deer/pronghorn is in the .257 caliber. I'm one of these people. 25-06 is my pick in the category because it's economical, easy to find (pre COVID), easy to load for and find supplies for (you can use any old 30-06 or 270 brass converted), flat shooting, has enough oomph out to 4-500 yards (if you so wish to shoot that far), and it's easy on the shoulder.
You can varmint if you ever get the urge, and it's enough for elk in a pinch, as well -- provided you use the right bullet and shot placement. Can't go wrong with it.
Plus, .257's a growing market, or at least it is in my neck of the woods.

If all that doesn't persuade you, the perfect deer bullet-- the Nosler Ballistic Tip-- is a real purdy shade of blue in .257.

Th
I think there's an easy fix to the whole problem. Learn to reload and use any cartridge based on the 308 or 30-06 case, make your own!
This. I love my 7-08 and 243. Lots of 308 brass out there now. All lapua.

Reloading.... sounds like you guys are advocating for another expensive hobby. I tend to collect those and my bank account has the battle scars to attest it. That said, I have started reading up on the basics. Never thought I'd even consider it, but it seems like a pretty reasonable path given the state of things.

Reloading.... sounds like you guys are advocating for another expensive hobby. I tend to collect those and my bank account has the battle scars to attest it. That said, I have started reading up on the basics. Never thought I'd even consider it, but it seems like a pretty reasonable path given the state of things.

I don't know. Components seem to be harder to find than loaded ammo right now.

QQ

I have a model 7 in 7 Saum that has found it’s way, along with all nine rounds, to the back of the safe. I’ve been thinking a lot lately about building a new ‘big’ rifle but options are still so limited

If I were you, I’d read the ABC’s of Reloading. That way, by the time you’re done with it and decided it’s something you still want to do, that’s when everyone who jumped into reloading will be selling their setups after they realized it’s not for them. Buy used equipment slowly instead of jumping in and paying retail. By the time components are trickling in, you’ll have a better idea of what you need/want to buy and can ease into it financially.

If you shoot a lot, reloading is the way. I usually load about 100 at a time For my calibers. and you don’t have to try to be a precision shooter in this effort, it’s pretty easy to find a good hunting load that your rifle will like. So shooting 40 per 50 rounds ends up being pretty economical.

however, I think the point was if you build or buy a 308, cases and ammo are pretty plentiful at least here in AZ. The family of 308 based cartridges can all be re sized from the original, and still great 308.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back