MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Cartridge for long commercial Mauser action.

Which cartridge?

• 25-06

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • 280AI

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters
I have 1in 8.5 in my 264 and wish I would have twisted it faster. 8 may be fine but longer 6.5 seem to be du jour
My 8.5 twist shoots better than your 8 twist. ;) Just giving you a hard time.

In all reality, and 8” twist shouldn’t be a problem, but I wouldn’t go 7.5” unless you had a specific bullet that needed more twist than the Berger 156, which I assume is the 156 that you referenced.

Last edited:
Since i'm a fan of 25 caliber & 7mm, the 25-06 & 280AI are 2 cartridges i want, but don't have yet.
either/or

since you dont have either and want both. Plus you have other calibers to hunt both large and small game. Whichever one you choose this time, brings you down to only one in that caliber range you still want and you will find a way to buy that one soon ;)

You mentioned you enjoy the 7mm family. If the opportunity presents itself, you might enjoy the 275 H & H. Woodleigh provide the correct bullet for it ( ,287 )
and brass can be made or ordered form RCC. We have one that is currently inoperative, but Panda has one that she uses and enjoys.

Somewhat related…. How’s ammo availability for you 25-06 users? Are you finding them regularly at stores or no? This is a caliber I’m lookin at for my new rifle. I know it’s not as popular as others but I feel it meets my needs for white tails.

Somewhat related…. How’s ammo availability for you 25-06 users? Are you finding them regularly at stores or no? This is a caliber I’m lookin at for my new rifle. I know it’s not as popular as others but I feel it meets my needs for white tails.
I have literally, never in my life, not even once purchased factory ammo for a centerfire rifle, so I don’t know the answer with certainty, HOWEVER, A) right now, availability of anything is spotty, so I don’t know how much weight you should give anyone’s answers. B) .257” cartridges are currently experiencing an uptick in interest that will help future availability. C) The .243Win, and 6.5CM are going to be popular for our foreseeable lifetimes. While neither is a ballistic twin, both fill most of the same niche, and have greater popularity, so I would look there if the consensus goes against 25-06 ammo availability. The 6.5-06, 6.5-284, 6.5x55 Swede, 6.5Rem Mag, 6.5PRC are all closer to the 25-06 ballistically, but none are both highly popular currently AND well cemented long term.

I built my last two rifles using those two options! A 25-06 with a 1:7.5" twist and a 280AI with 1:8" twist. Both shoot great and both I regard as my favorite cartridges, so the answer from me is either. You'll be happy with whatever you choose.

25-06 is my answer for the best all around deer cartridge, but you also have a 257 bob/ai so those are also great. I shoot bullets all the way up to the 128 Hammer Hunters so I wouldn't hesitate to use it for elk.

280AI is my go to for things bigger than mule deer, but since I just built the 280AI a few months ago I'm going to use it for KS whitetail this year using 140gr TTSXs.

Like I said, you'll be happy with either.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back