Caribou game bags

Jimbo

This fall I'll be making my first hunting trip out west. I've never used a game bag before and have some questions. From searching other threads I see that the caribou game bags are highly recommended. I plan on purchasing an elk, deer, and bear tag. Now I see on the caribou game bags website they have a magnum series and a species specific series. What would you guys recommend I purchase? Can I use the same bags for elk, deer, or bear?

Check out Printine Ventures, they're in Alaska. They're like caribou bags.

I seem to recall the TAG bags had problems and were recalled? Maybe I saw that on the black ovis website or something.. Anyways I picked up some from Camofire when they were on there (the black ovis brand). The one I got was the xl sized set which should handle all those species. Camofire had them at like $34.99 or $39.99 (around 1/2 off).

I purchased the Caribou Gear Magnum Pack in size medium for an elk hunt last year. The bags easily fit my elk quarters and the extra bag for camp meat was great to have. I also liked the reflectors they sew into the bags making them easier to find during those nighttime pack outs.

They are nice, but their marketing is a turnoff - they have a lot of negative stuff regarding the TAG bags (they don't come right out and say it....) which is just stupid. But they are carried everywhere, so super convenient. That little reflector tag is worth it's weight in gold honing in on meat cache's in the dark.....

Aside from that - I've used the smaller and larger sizes of them, they are great. If you plan on boning meat, most of their bags are overkill on size for that application. If you get a quarter size bag for an elk, it's huge (makes sense for bone-in carry of course). If you are backpack hunting, you just don't need that much extra weight when you can get away with a smaller bag.

Depending on how you feel about blood all over your pack/clothes, I've found the Stone Glacier dry bag, as well as the Kifaru meat baggie to be a really nice thing to have to keep things a little cleaner....just something to consider.

Camofire has the Ovis game bags on sale today if anyone is interested.

I bought one of the XL packs of them for I think $40 last time they were on camofire. They seem to be pretty similar to the caribou bags. Maybe just a little thinner. They are a little smaller than the caribou bags, I'm thinking they will work better for boned out meat. Lighter in your pack too.

I got the elk-size carnivore series and I love them. I bone out meat in the field.

Back