Caribou Gear

Caribou Drop Camp

tmike51

I am looking at Alaska Wilderness for a drop camp Caribou hunt out of Kotzebue. If anyone has any experience with them or another outfitter I would greatly appreciate the advice! Thank you!

Next year I’ll be able to give you a good review of Golden Eagle, as long as they don’t restrict permits to substinance only, like was attempted this spring.

We hunted with them in 2010. They seemed to be a well run outfit. It was record high temps when we were there and there were no caribou. It was like that for all transporters it sounded like. Some caribou started showing up in the distance the last morning while waiting for our plane. They offered us more days to hunt but we had already made plans and had to go. The guy we booked through said that wasn’t an option when I specifically asked for 2 more days when I booked. That’s on him though and not the transporter. Even though our hunt wasn’t too great, I felt like they did there best and were a good outfit. The country is amazing up there.

Tmike, I forgot to mention, not that it’s worth anything, but if I was able to swing it to go up there again, I was going to look into flying out of bethel on an earlier hunt to the northern brooks range when it sounds like they can be less migratory from what I’ve heard. Not sure if it’s more $ than kotz. Other guys on here are much more Alaska knowledgeable, but it might be worth checking anyways. Good luck.

Tmike, I forgot to mention, not that it’s worth anything, but if I was able to swing it to go up there again, I was going to look into flying out of bethel on an earlier hunt to the northern brooks range when it sounds like they can be less migratory from what I’ve heard. Not sure if it’s more $ than kotz. Other guys on here are much more Alaska knowledgeable, but it might be worth checking anyways. Good luck.
Thank you! You too!

I suggest you go on Rockslide and view forum unit 23 reports. My story is on page 4 there are some alarming posts about what going on in Kotz. My gear never left the basement. I planned a hunt 2 1/2 yrs ago booking agent insurance the whole process failed me. I let my dream of going to Alaska blind me from many red flags. I learned a lot of lessons. Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back