Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Cardiologist visit tomorrow

Can you refer me to your doctor?

What’s his thoughts on cheese?

Hard to say…. Never brought it up…

The cigars and alcohol only get a pass because it’s more along the lines of sitting around a campfire and relaxing with chosen family….

Read it as situation that relief stress.

limited carbs, absolutely no sugar, no alcohol, no tobacco, more sleep, more cardio

i'm no MD but i personally don't think/believe that heart health has to be more complicated than that right there
It can be more complicated than that. A local man in his mid 40s who ran ultra marathons died of a heart attack the other day. Some people are more susceptible to heart disease and it is often hereditary.
All that you listed are great ideas, though.

It can be more complicated than that. A local man in his mid 40s who ran ultra marathons died of a heart attack the other day. Some people are more susceptible to heart disease and it is often hereditary.
Sounds like Jim Fixx.

My whole life I've had a strong heart. Spent most of my time running up and down steep hill like a mountain goat. No problem. Then a couple of years ago my heart started doing funny things like racing and Skipping beats. I thought it would get better on it's own but it didn't and it started getting so I didn't have the energy or breath to go up even little hills so I told my doctor. He put me on beta blockers and sent me to a cardiologist. She gave me a stress test. I guess I didn't study enough because I failed miserably. She told me I probably had a clogged artery and most likely would need a stent or potentially surgery but the only way to tell for sure was an angiogram. We did that and the doc who did it told me that my arteries were squeaky clean and I seemed to have a very strong and healthy heart. Someone from my cardiologist office called and said my doctor looked at the angiogram and there was nothing that need Imediat attention and that she would talk to me about it during my appointment on the 31st of this month. I've been feeling pretty good but I haven't done anything physically strenuous, not knowing what the problem is or what I am supposed to be doing about it.

No doubt. I love broad brushes tho. People who live off Mountain Dew and cigarettes live happy lives to 100, and dudes who run marathons drop dead of heart attacks.

Like you said some people are just more susceptible. In the reverse some people are super resistant.

IMO excessive processed carbs and especially sugar are the greatest threat to public health in this country, despite many claims that it’s so many other types of foods.

I like this article, I dunno what to call it, like a sort of a peer reviewed opinion piece, arguing that sugar should be a controlled substance. not saturated fat they point out, but sugar, based on the available data as to what is the single biggest driver of preventable chronic disease

My whole life I've had a strong heart. Spent most of my time running up and down steep hill like a mountain goat. No problem. Then a couple of years ago my heart started doing funny things like racing and Skipping beats. I thought it would get better on it's own but it didn't and it started getting so I didn't have the energy or breath to go up even little hills so I told my doctor. He put me on beta blockers and sent me to a cardiologist. She gave me a stress test. I guess I didn't study enough because I failed miserably. She told me I probably had a clogged artery and most likely would need a stent or potentially surgery but the only way to tell for sure was an angiogram. We did that and the doc who did it told me that my arteries were squeaky clean and I seemed to have a very strong and healthy heart. Someone from my cardiologist office called and said my doctor looked at the angiogram and there was nothing that need Imediat attention and that she would talk to me about it during my appointment on the 31st of this month. I've been feeling pretty good but I haven't done anything physically strenuous, not knowing what the problem is or what I am supposed to be doing about it.

Ask your cardiologist about MVA…

I’ve been struggling with constant out of breath etc and all the same symptoms as my blockages….

Even though my stress test tells me otherwise. Even the nuclear stress tests.

In April last year, my cardiologist diagnosed me with Microvasular Angina. Put me on a drug for it and my symptoms went away.

It used to be called “syndrome X”.

It’s the blood vessels at the capillary level that are the problem. Not the ones that can be a tented.

Like hell…

Maybe if you knew the circumstances behind it…
I’m messing around. Just a funny quote, especially from a cards doc. I wish you the best @Farmerj . My dad had some stents placed around 10 years ago but he’s still hunting at 70!!

Last edited:
Waiting for Bullshot to pop in and share how he's doing.
A productive visit in the sense the dr was a great listener, took copious notes, looked deep into my records, family history, etc. Been a while since I’ve been taken that seriously. My BP at the visit was 140/80, not great but not dire by any means. EKG was normal. He listened with the stethoscope all over and I can’t help but feel he heard something he didn’t like (but didn’t say) since he nicely but somewhat more abruptly than the first half of the visit said he was going to be sending me for a stress test, echocardio and a two-week monitor as well as all the blood work. Those are pretty standard tests and no rush put on them, so he wasn’t worried I was about to keel over. Tests are scheduled for the 27th.

Well they still can't figure out why my heart did not explode during the heart attack. Nor why I am OK,still.

They don't listen.
I do not eat sugar. Well,pie and a scoop once in a while. I have not drank alcohol in 35 years. I eat fairly healthy,mostly elk meat. Stayed in shape. Swam or surfed everyday for 35+ years before 12 years ago when I moved to NM.
They flip out and call for an ex-ray when I state I quit cigars 20 years ago....took up cig's,LOL

Pisses them off that my lungs are clear,pretty much. They did not hear I have almost drowned several times,had lung issues from illness in past. Yep there's the scar tissue...

Stress. It's a killer.
Solo in NM & not stressed.

Well they still can't figure out why my heart did not explode during the heart attack. Nor why I am OK,still.

They don't listen.
I do not eat sugar. Well,pie and a scoop once in a while. I have not drank alcohol in 35 years. I eat fairly healthy,mostly elk meat. Stayed in shape. Swam or surfed everyday for 35+ years before 12 years ago when I moved to NM.
They flip out and call for an ex-ray when I state I quit cigars 20 years ago....took up cig's,LOL

Pisses them off that my lungs are clear,pretty much. They did not hear I have almost drowned several times,had lung issues from illness in past. Yep there's the scar tissue...

Stress. It's a killer.
Solo in NM & not stressed.
I think so much is hereditary. My dad chewed a can of Copenhagen every day since he was 12. LITERALLY put a fresh chew in when he went to bed and first a fresh in when he woke up. They always told him it was going to kill him. It finally did. But not cancer, never had tooth or gum problem. He drank beer only. Once in a while water, but no soda or hardly ever a whisky. He drank 3 cases a week every week. He had a beer opener tied to his steering wheel so he could have a beer on the way home from work. It was impossible for him to ever get drunk on beer. Drank it like water. They said it was going to kill him. It did, but not cancer.

Why do i think he lived a long an prosperous life. Good genes and incredible hard work. Above normal hard work.

I dunno...........

I do not chew or smoke, have a bourban or glass of whine once in a while, drink a little soda if I am having a burger or something. i hit the gym at least every other day, work my butt of with physical labor, and at 52 and I can out hike, hunt than most my age.

But all my uncles on my mom side including my grandfather all died in their 50's of heart attacks. So that why why try and work out the heart as much as possible.

I do have stage 3 kidney failure and bad psoriatic arthritis and no idea where it came from. no diabetes or family history and no weight problems. The kidneys caused high blood PSI. I take meds for that and my arthritis. But like i said i can still out work most people my age. I dunno..................

I think so much is hereditary. My dad chewed a can of Copenhagen every day since he was 12. LITERALLY put a fresh chew in when he went to bed and first a fresh in when he woke up. They always told him it was going to kill him. It finally did. But not cancer, never had tooth or gum problem. He drank beer only. Once in a while water, but no soda or hardly ever a whisky. He drank 3 cases a week every week. He had a beer opener tied to his steering wheel so he could have a beer on the way home from work. It was impossible for him to ever get drunk on beer. Drank it like water. They said it was going to kill him. It did, but not cancer.

Why do i think he lived a long an prosperous life. Good genes and incredible hard work. Above normal hard work.

I dunno...........

I do not chew or smoke, have a bourban or glass of whine once in a while, drink a little soda if I am having a burger or something. i hit the gym at least every other day, work my butt of with physical labor, and at 52 and I can out hike, hunt than most my age.

But all my uncles on my mom side including my grandfather all died in their 50's of heart attacks. So that why why try and work out the heart as much as possible.

I do have stage 3 kidney failure and bad psoriatic arthritis and no idea where it came from. no diabetes or family history and no weight problems. The kidneys caused high blood PSI. I take meds for that and my arthritis. But like i said i can still out work most people my age. I dunno..................
My doc was concerned when I turned 40 and my cholesterol went up,a hair from below normal.
Family history,mom had a valve go then her aorta 12 years later. Mom died of cancer 15 years after a aorta replacement. Dad did too 6 weeks earlier. Odd types,most likely from toxins they were exposed to during WWII. Both smoked, their whole lives. Neither had lung issues.
Her dad had died of a HA @ 55, 3 weeks after 5 daughters enlisted to fight the war....stress.

No meds for 5 years. No statins. Was on baby aspirin & quit that too.

My doc was concerned when I turned 40 and my cholesterol went up,a hair from below normal.
Family history,mom had a valve go then her aorta 12 years later. Mom died of cancer 15 years after a aorta replacement. Dad did too 6 weeks earlier. Odd types,most likely from toxins they were exposed to during WWII. Both smoked, their whole lives. Neither had lung issues.
Her dad had died of a HA @ 55, 3 weeks after 5 daughters enlisted to fight the war....stress.

No meds for 5 years. No statins. Was on baby aspirin & quit that too.
I really think you are correct about stress and toxins. We were cattle farmers growing up along with my dad being a commercial fish filleter for 35 years. We ate fresh fish at least 3 times a week. We raised our own chickens and pork. I have not bought red in a store for probably 30 years, when i lived in CA for a little bit.

We raise our own beef ( grass fed only and never ever had a shot of any kind because they were born and raised on my property) and I harvest an elk every year.

God has blessed me with family, finances and a great sense of love of life and respect. So I don't have much stress and dont have any problems with toxins.

I really think you are correct about stress and toxins. We were cattle farmers growing up along with my dad being a commercial fish filleter for 35 years. We ate fresh fish at least 3 times a week. We raised our own chickens and pork. I have not bought red in a store for probably 30 years, when i lived in CA for a little bit.

We raise our own beef ( grass fed only and never ever had a shot of any kind because they were born and raised on my property) and I harvest an elk every year.

God has blessed me with family, finances and a great sense of love of life and respect. So I don't have much stress and dont have any problems with toxins.
Pretty sure I have a massive dose of zinc in me,and lead,hell grey metal mine work. No trace.

Used to eat bonito out of LA harbor when I was a kid. Corvina and perch all the time. We would watch the tugs towing barges, hauling DDT & nuke waste in 55 gal. drums to dump outside the harbor....mercury poisoning was mentioned and the tunas limited. Harbor fish were out.

Hey they have had some great fishing the last few years in So Cal,guys eating tons of tuna & such. Right over those barrels.

Ate CA seafood weekly when I was on the central coast. I limited some spieces and reduced my albie intake. I rarely buy any and scored some WI fish this year.

Ate ranch meats or local for 40+ years. Elk & deer. Occational wild pig back in the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back