Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Cape care mistake?

ImBillT

I got all my elk meat in the freezer, but getting ready for my mule deer hunt I forgot that my elk cape was in the spare fridge. It’s been there for three weeks. It has a little bit of an ammonia smell, but the hair is still very firmly on the hide. Is the cape still usable? I can’t affors to have it mounted right away, so I’m going to freeze the cape if it’s still usable and hopefully have it mounted one day in the future. Thanks in advance.

I would say that the best way to verify is to take it to a taxidermist you trust and have them inspect it.

Not worth freezing if it has turned on you.

At three weeks I’m certain the hair would be slipping.

You can take it to a taxidermist but I don't think the cape would still be good. The problem with leaving the cape in the fridge is that the ears will dry out. When the taxidermist goes to turn the ears, they will be too dry to turn,

Were you able to save it?

It’s sitting in the freezer. I just picked up my first ever shoulder mount from the taxi yesterday and completely forgot to ask him. I was too excited about the deer I was picking up. I had forgotten just how wonderful he was and the pictures didn’t do him justice. In fact when I picked him up we were standing in the shop and I was looking for him, then the taxi took down the one on the wall I had been jealous of. My wife did a double take. We got to the car and she said “when he took down your deer I thought he made a mistake!” Heck I even had to pull up pictures to confirm that it was him, cause the pics just didn’t make him look very big.

Anyway...no idea. If I can remember I’ll call and ask what he thinks tomorrow.

Last edited:
At three weeks I’m certain the hair would be slipping.

I grabbed it by the hair and held it up by the hair, then shook it. Nothing fell out. I was actually surprised. That’s a lot of weight.

You can take it to a taxidermist but I don't think the cape would still be good. The problem with leaving the cape in the fridge is that the ears will dry out. When the taxidermist goes to turn the ears, they will be too dry to turn,

That may well turn out to be the issue. It was still damp though. Probably why it managed to develope a smell. It was inside out, folded, and inside a trash bag. The garage fridge is pretty cold too. It’s turned all the way down and at the back freezes.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back