Yeti GOBOX Collection

Canopy as a tent

smarandr

We (my wife and three kids) have been using a 12x14 wall tent to camp in for the last 10 years. When we bought it there was only one child in the family, and now that my kids seem to be doubling in size every year the wall tent is getting a little cramped.

I love the wall tent--once it's setup. However, for a two or three day camping trip I'm starting to loathe the unpacking, setup, takedown, and packing process. A wall tent is really something to setup only if it's going to stay up for several days.

Ultimately I'd like to sell it and get a Seek Outside 16 man tipi, but that'll take some time to save for.

In the mean time I'm kicking around the idea of buying one of those collapsible canopies with sidewalls as an easy setup and takedown shelter for this summer.

Anyone in the Hunt Talk community have any experience with using a canopy as a tent?

If you’re talking about the kind people park cars under or use for storage, they’re more work to set up than a wall tent.

Dad and I used a cheapo pop up canopy as a makeshift tent in Idaho back in 2016 when our tent collapsed from snow. Quickly tarped up all four sides, moved the air mattress inside, and tried to get some more sleep since it was about 2am. It was really cold but it kept us mostly out of the weather. In strong wind those things are basically useless. I've had several collapse over the years in my backyard, even when staked down well.

Dad and I used a cheapo pop up canopy as a makeshift tent in Idaho back in 2016 when our tent collapsed from snow. Quickly tarped up all four sides, moved the air mattress inside, and tried to get some more sleep since it was about 2am. It was really cold but it kept us mostly out of the weather. In strong wind those things are basically useless. I've had several collapse over the years in my backyard, even when staked down well.

This is spot on information. I have seen over a hundred of these things over the years get destroyed with a wind gust of about 25 mph or higher.

This is spot on information. I have seen over a hundred of these things over the years get destroyed with a wind gust of about 25 mph or higher.
Yep, they are quite popular at youth sporting events. They do not handle weather well IME.

I'd go for a pop up blind/ice fishing tent or tent like a Kodiak Canvas before I'd gamble with one of those awning things. If you are interesting in a Seek Outside tipi, maybe take a look at Luxe or Sportsman's Guide for less expensive alternatives of similar design.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back