Canoe Hunts

Wish we had more water in my home state to be able to hunt with canoes.

Using a Canoe or Kayak for hunting has really caught my attention. Bought a Kayak recently that has room in the back for gear.

Hunting out of a canoe is usually great. It isn't great when water turns to ice.

Great pictures! I know exactly what you mean. I did a 65 mile river trip with some friends the beginning of december a handful of years ago and the weather took an unexpected turn into the negative degrees the last couple days. We ended up cutting the trip short as forward progress was becoming almost impossible. Luckily, we saw an occupied house in the distance and my buddy was able to get the owner to give him a ride to where our trucks were waiting.

DSC08927.jpg

DSCN0316.jpg

DSCN0325.jpg

DSC08974.jpg

DSC08970.jpg

Lately I find myself using one of my rafts or my packraft for most of my waterborne activities, but I have had some great times in canoes.

This is a great thread. It makes me realize the amount of time in my life that I have spent in a canoe either hunting or trapping in the upper peninsula. All good times except for once almost dieing of hypothermia coming out of a nasty storm duck hunting on a good sized lake being on the down wind side.

I go by canoe soetimes but this is my preferred method...
I use a river boat to get to camp, but everyone in Alaska hunts by boat....
nothing like having a grunting bull coming into your calling only to be spooked by another boat screaming down the channel.

By dragging the canoe over beaver dams, I get get far away from the crowds and call with no competition.

Jeepers I did that to a couple of guys two years ago. I had a couple clients way up the creek fishing silvers and rainbows, coming down I damn near ran over them. Next day I flew over saw they had gotten the moose but he was a ways off the creek. They had a little zodiac, took my North River up a day or two later and hauled their moose about 16 miles to town.

Great pictures! I know exactly what you mean. I did a 65 mile river trip with some friends the beginning of december a handful of years ago and the weather took an unexpected turn into the negative degrees the last couple days. We ended up cutting the trip short as forward progress was becoming almost impossible. Luckily, we saw an occupied house in the distance and my buddy was able to get the owner to give him a ride to where our trucks were waiting.

View attachment 128662

View attachment 128663

View attachment 128664

View attachment 128665

View attachment 128666

Lately I find myself using one of my rafts or my packraft for most of my waterborne activities, but I have had some great times in canoes.

Thank you for the cooler outrigger idea. So many applications in mind..........

I plan on doing a Boundary Waters Canoe Area deer hunt in the next couple of years. All of these pictures, even the ones with ice, will make me think more serious about it!

Consider a grouse hunting and fishing trip instead. You could pick a little nicer weather that way maybe
The week of the rifle deer season in MN is usually the ice up time too. That could put a damper on things, but I would have a tipi with a stove and maybe start on a motorized (25 hp) lake and bring the canoe to portage to lakes that have had burns or blow downs recently.

Jeepers I did that to a couple of guys two years ago. I had a couple clients way up the creek fishing silvers and rainbows, coming down I damn near ran over them. Next day I flew over saw they had gotten the moose but he was a ways off the creek. They had a little zodiac, took my North River up a day or two later and hauled their moose about 16 miles to town.
A few years ago I shot my bull early, so I was back at camp on the river.
I was using a chainsaw and shut it down, I heard a bull grunting a few hundred yards across the river.
So I started cow calling and he was coming in on a string...splash, splash grunt, grunt.

Then I heard 2 bubbas talking as they drifted downstream in a raft...the bull immediately shut down.
The bubbas kept talking as they drifted by camp and downstream...never could get that bull to respond after that.
Silence is golden.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back