Yeti GOBOX Collection

Canadian moose drop camp ideas?

Werty

Wanting to do a moose hunt! I would love to draw a moose tag in my home state, chance very slim. I'm looking at a drop camp in Canada "drive to it in 1 day + or -". Its more about the meat and the experience, then the horns. I'll be honest a big set of antlers would be sweet bonus though. Been looking at Ontario, Saskatchewan. I understand i need a guide or a host. If anyone has any experience with this would love your input, places to look into, who to stay away from. Price seems to very from 3k to 8k. I can afford the middle no problem.
I know i can do Alaska, probably close to the same price, just not interested in driving that far. Looking at fall of 2020 or 2021. Thanks in advance. On a side note, if its legal and any Canadian wants to host me, I can reciprocate e.g. i live in Montana

I can do a little digging for you here in Ontario. You will need to utilize an outfitter unless you own land in a unit with moose season or you have a close relative in Ontario. Outfitters typically are allotted a certain number of tags and they often like to get the most they can out of them. Have hunter stay at their camp, use their guide and pay a good price but they can basically sell the tag to a hunter provided that hunter uses a guide. Quebec may be a viable option for you as well. If your willing to pay 4-8k for this type of hunt not too mention all the other gear that goes into this type of hunt, why not Alaska or Yukon as viable options?

If your willing to pay 4-8k for this type of hunt not too mention all the other gear that goes into this type of hunt, why not Alaska or Yukon as viable options?
[/QUOTE]
I already own all of the gear that is required of these hunts. The Yukon doesn't have drop camps, or at least that I am aware of. Therefore I am required to hire a guide too hunt with. I'm looking to doing as much solo hunting as possible. The deeper I look, the more it points too Ontario, do to proximity and price.
Alaska is not an option right now, do to distance. Another reason is, I'm looking to move back to Alaska in a few years to chase grizzlies and sheep again"as a resident".
I hope this doesn't come across as snarky response, I do appreciate your reply and any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I used to guide moose hunts for an outfitter here in Newfoundland. I’m actually a biologist so I eventually had to leave the paid vacation and start focusing on the career haha. There are a few pros and cons with coming here. As for the pros, we have an extremely high moose population. Because of that, the outfitter I worked for has a 95% success rate. Secondly, it’s fairly cheap as far as all inclusive fly-in hunts go ($4500). And thirdly, you can also add a woodland caribou and bear tag to make it a combo hunt.

The two major cons are the animals aren’t huge (I’ve only taken two over 50 inches, a good bull here is in the 40’s), and you are required hire an outfitter. So you can take that into consideration as well. Like you said, you just want a DIY drop hunt so this info may not be any good to you. Good luck and I hope you find what you’re looking for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back