Yeti GOBOX Collection

Canada shotgun ban

Doublecluck

If you hunt waterfowl in Canada this is concerning, hopefully some common sense prevails here and this is straightened out.

That's nuts, in curious to see what they consider an assault rifle is defined as for the other part of the ban. Also why 12 gauge or larger shotguns?

That's nuts, in curious to see what they consider an assault rifle is defined as for the other part of the ban. Also why 12 gauge or larger shotguns?
It’s 20mm that’s banned, the argument is that a 12 gauge without a choke inserted would have a bore diameter greater than 20mm. That’s going to depend on the 12 gauge, a mossberg 835 has a different bore size than a 870.

It would be interesting to see the exact text of the bill, is it average bore diameter, the max of the bore, is it any bore or is it only rifles?

Last edited:
It was confirmed yesterday by the government that they did not intend to have the regulation prohibit shot guns. They apparently will get this fixed.

I call BS. They didn't intend to make a bunch of other guns prohibited......yeah right.....

The people that write these regulations for the government know exactly what they are doing. I cant believe that my own country is being taken over by communists right in front of my eyes. What is worse, is that the general population doesnt seem to care.

Just wait until our prime minister makes all diesel trucks and any vehicle larger than a sedan prohibited to serve his climate change agenda....maybe people will take notice then.

I remember when I lived there them coming door to door for registered firearms that had been declared prohibited on a whim. My dad said he’d get it for them and they said no we have to search for it and removed us from the house. It was legal right before that. This might have just been overly cautious officers which I could understand, who knows. I was too young to know all the intricacies involved, but it certainly left an impression on me as a youngster.

those were the days right after so many people had guns “fall out of their trucks” on the way to get registered or turned in.

Great country, but I couldn’t be happier that I moved away

It was confirmed yesterday by the government that they did not intend to have the regulation prohibit shot guns. They apparently will get this fixed.

I call BS. They didn't intend to make a bunch of other guns prohibited......yeah right.....

The people that write these regulations for the government know exactly what they are doing. I cant believe that my own country is being taken over by communists right in front of my eyes. What is worse, is that the general population doesnt seem to care.

Just wait until our prime minister makes all diesel trucks and any vehicle larger than a sedan prohibited to serve his climate change agenda....maybe people will take notice then.

I'm definitely not a defender to government and their overreach.... But these laws are written by people who know nothing about guns. While I agree they want to restrict lawful gun ownership as much as possible, I wouldn't be surprised that they didn't know they were restricting common hunting shotguns. Same story when Oregon was trying to outlaw purchasing more than 20 rounds per month, instantly making buying a box of shotgun shells impossible. I think they figured a box of ammo is 20 rounds so make it a box a month.

I don't disagree these people aren't sneaky but I also think they are clueless when it comes to hunting and shooting.

I'm definitely not a defender to government and their overreach.... But these laws are written by people who know nothing about guns. While I agree they want to restrict lawful gun ownership as much as possible, I wouldn't be surprised that they didn't know they were restricting common hunting shotguns. Same story when Oregon was trying to outlaw purchasing more than 20 rounds per month, instantly making buying a box of shotgun shells impossible. I think they figured a box of ammo is 20 rounds so make it a box a month.

I don't disagree these people aren't sneaky but I also think they are clueless when it comes to hunting and shooting.

yes and no

they are written at times by people with no clue as to what they are talking about, but they are guided by people that know exactly what they are doing ----not necessarily talking about, but they know what they are doing. The behind the scenes people know and knew exactly what they were doing. It happens all the time. "Put it all in and maybe they wont notice and if they do only take out what we are absolutely forced to take out for now, we will put the rest back in next time"

Bramndon270, this is not directed at you. But I ( we ) fight this CONSTANTLY. Not just firearms but hunting. The ban on Grizzly hunting in B.C., the attempted ban on Grizzly hunting in the Yukon. Somewhere on this forum it was said that Grizzly's always have triplets and that statement although it is false was also stated up here in a meeting in an attempt to justify banning Grizzly hunting permits. Too many orphaned bears will cause more human deaths ---You can't make this S--- up!

Sorry--do you think this new gun law hit a nerve with me :cry: I apologize for the rant and again Brandon, this is not directed at you

yes and no

they are written at times by people with no clue as to what they are talking about, but they are guided by people that know exactly what they are doing ----not necessarily talking about, but they know what they are doing. The behind the scenes people know and knew exactly what they were doing. It happens all the time. "Put it all in and maybe they wont notice and if they do only take out what we are absolutely forced to take out for now, we will put the rest back in next time"

Bramndon270, this is not directed at you. But I ( we ) fight this CONSTANTLY. Not just firearms but hunting. The ban on Grizzly hunting in B.C., the attempted ban on Grizzly hunting in the Yukon. Somewhere on this forum it was said that Grizzly's always have triplets and that statement although it is false was also stated up here in a meeting in an attempt to justify banning Grizzly hunting permits. Too many orphaned bears will cause more human deaths ---You can't make this S--- up!

Sorry--do you think this new gun law hit a nerve with me :cry: I apologize for the rant and again Brandon, this is not directed at you
No offense taken, I'm sure there are plenty of people behind the scenes who know exactly what's being done. I understand your struggles living in a state with the same type of leadership and mindset.

It’s 20mm that’s banned, the argument is that a 12 gauge without a choke inserted would have a bore diameter greater than 20mm. That’s going to depend on the 12 gauge, a mossberg 835 has a different bore size than a 870.

It would be interesting to see the exact text of the bill, is it average bore diameter, the max of the bore, is it any bore or is it only rifles?
like bore size really matters. They are just trying to keep people safe I thought. Lol

like bore size really matters. They are just trying to keep people safe I thought. Lol

The legal opinion does a great job of explaining the nuts and bolts of the issue.

I'm not weighing in on Canadian gun laws, I was simply pointing out that from the text it seems like legislators were trying to ban 20mm rifles and given their limited knowledge of firearms didn't think about how it would effect shotguns. Most hunters probably wouldn't realize that a 12 gauge shotgun would have a bore greater than 20mm... I doubt 99% of hunters could even tell you the diameter of a 12 gauge if we are being honest.

The legal opinion does a great job of explaining the nuts and bolts of the issue.

I'm not weighing in on Canadian gun laws, I was simply pointing out that from the text it seems like legislators were trying to ban 20mm rifles and given their limited knowledge of firearms didn't think about how it would effect shotguns. Most hunters probably wouldn't realize that a 12 gauge shotgun would have a bore greater than 20mm... I doubt 99% of hunters could even tell you the diameter of a 12 gauge if we are being honest.

I do not disagree with your premise, but knowing those involved I do believe they knew and decided to see how it would play out, knowing they would have to change it---while, saying/thinking--lets see what they complain about and then only change what we need to change at this time so as to get as much in as possible. I am not a conspiracy nut, but I have experience dealing with these people, or at least some of them. Brent will or might say I am painting with a broad brush and he would be right. We do become "jaded" after being told white is black so many times. The "creep" technique has worked for them in the past. Also, I do have a dog in this fight as I was researching a "dreiling" type firearm and the rifle part of it might not now be possible. BUT that is a very very small part of my concern and complaint. I have ranted enough, I will log off and go hunt something

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back