Can you talk me out of getting a GSP

Interesting - I’ve found my GSP to be fairly patient in the blind (no whining). He’s extremely observant. Only will whine when I’m getting the leashes out.

Our other dog (collie mix) is notorious for whining.
My Lab is a crybaby when the gun comes out of the safe. Drives me nuts too. And when unloaded to go hunting she always has to run around the vehicle twice barking. Always just twice. Very annoying! Then we're off and it's down to business. Sometimes one has to not sweat the little things and look at the big picture. As a perfectionist I have never been good at that. Seems Ellie has been a good teacher. She's not perfect but what she does right is exceptional. Grab onto the exceptional and forget the trivial annoyances.

I should add that, relatively speaking, Ellie is a quiet dog around the house. She lets me know if someone is at the door but won't even bark to come in if it's thirty below.

Last edited:
My family raised and ran Vizslas. They were great for both upland and moderate temp waterfowl.

My two cents: pointers are an active lifestyle. As mentioned with the fellow who has a gsp - you have to run them daily. A lot.

I’d suggest a lab for the blend you mentioned unless you are very active.

Good luck

As another golden guy, I prefer a dog whose personality and general disposition works well for me. A GSP would NOT be such a choice. Make mine gold. Every time.

Another vote for the drahthaar. I had 3 great labs! last one was a whiner in the blind- annoying....but was driven like a GSP. All three labs were great on upland birds.
Since I spend more time hunting upland birds, I decided to try a Draht after seeing the temperament and handle-ability of a couple. I am on my second Draht and am pretty sure I am staying with that breed. They do everything well and have a bit more laid back temperament (like a lab). Point, retrieve, handle, waterwork, blood work with a great attitude, then come in the house and lay down.

Given you appear to be up north, I think the Draht would serve you better than a GSP....but then again I really dont know how GSP do in that kind of cold montana has. I am way down southwest.

Thanks folks I will most likely get another lab i had not heard of having to run a dog five miles a day but it makes sense with a high strung dog. I work a ton from early spring to october so I should get a breed I'm familiar with training as my time is limited oh I forgot about the kids jesus

Thanks folks I will most likely get another lab i had not heard of having to run a dog five miles a day but it makes sense with a high strung dog. I work a ton from early spring to october so I should get a breed I'm familiar with training as my time is limited oh I forgot about the kids jesus
Good choice. Another piece of advice. Once that Lab pup is old enough to stop chewing up everything, get a second one. Smartest thing I ever did. The two dogs kept each other entertained while we were at work. Two Labs are no harder to care for than one. Three dogs was over the top for sure but they got me through a very dark time.

What do you guys and gals think about a GSP
Our GSP is 13. In those years she's chalked up a list a mile long of reasons to never own another one.

Never comes
Prefers to hunt the next county over
Never comes
Doesn't point
Never comes
Runs off
Doesn't come
Love horse shit and chickens
Doesn't come
Is constantly whining except when she's hunting
Doesn't come
Was impossible to tire out, I mean IMPOSSIBLE, for the first 9 years.
... I could go on all day

Talk you out of one of the best hunting breeds of all time?!? Sure. There's a breed called a Labrador. Might be worth looking at. Pretty unknown.

I've never had a GSP, but for your hunting being what it is, I think other breeds might be a better fit. If you only duck hunted a couple days a year, and hunted lots of fairly open ground for uplands, and had the time/energy, a GSP would be great. Good luck with whatever you choose. Don't think you can go wrong.

I've owned GSPs and Labs throughout the years, for what you have listed I'd stick with a lab.

Bear (on the right) came from a pointing lab line. Never thought too much about it until we were going to jump a pond and he locked up on a point, hunting partner's lab came busting through and a covey of quail rose up. Wish I'd worked with him more on it, but I went away to college and he escaped from my folks' fence. They never found him.

9592.jpg

Last edited:
@neffa3 ;)

Our GSP is 13. In those years she's chalked up a list a mile long of reasons to never own another one.

Never comes Yes they do
Prefers to hunt the next county over Okay, maybe so
Never comes Sure they do
Doesn't point Why does a German Shorthaired Poin - .... oh
Never comes Mostly they do
Runs off Was any living critter near by?
Doesn't come Sometimes they do
Love horse shit and chickens True, but those things are jet fuel for these dogs
Doesn't come Sometimes they don't
Is constantly whining except when she's hunting Ya, aren't we all though?
Doesn't come No, no they don't
Was impossible to tire out, I mean IMPOSSIBLE, for the first 9 years. Did you hunt with her, or walk your gun with her?
... I could go on all day

Talk you out of one of the best hunting breeds of all time?!? Sure. There's a breed called a Labrador. Might be worth looking at. Pretty unknown.

I've never had a GSP, but for your hunting being what it is, I think other breeds might be a better fit. If you only duck hunted a couple days a year, and hunted lots of fairly open ground for uplands, and had the time/energy, a GSP would be great. Good luck with whatever you choose. Don't think you can go wrong.
Mission accomplished! He says we sold him on a Lab. I'm still trying to convince him to get a pair of them.

My family raised and ran Vizslas. They were great for both upland and moderate temp waterfowl.

Good luck

My breeder made me aware of the above important info......GSP and cold water not a great mix. Unlike other common (and uncommon retrievers such as poodles) there is no underhair insulation and cold + water is bad news for GSP

3F8B1C85-D594-4B20-8792-9DC0A13B53C1.jpeg
My buds Drahthaar, my lab. They both crushed it out in ND for 4 days. The Drahthaars are in a league of their own on game, including domestic cats. The labs probably have an edge when it comes to a home companion. Just get one of each and you’ll be good.

I’m from Gallatin county as well.
We snagged a GSP from Best Gun Dogs (Utah) last September. Very birdy but won’t retrieve for a damn though. She gets cold fairly easily. She would be an ice cube if we did an entire day of waterfowl. We’re in the processing of finding a trainer to force fetch her.

My wife has recently given me the green light on selecting a second dog. After countless hours of research, I decided that a Draht was best suited for us. Still in the process of finding a breeder.

Attachments

• 634C7E63-7DBE-4627-9F10-9DEF3C3D8F01.jpeg
    634C7E63-7DBE-4627-9F10-9DEF3C3D8F01.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 22
  • F43EA1CB-3913-4804-B1D4-86B7F4DE8EDE.png
    F43EA1CB-3913-4804-B1D4-86B7F4DE8EDE.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 22
  • A6487439-8FEF-4291-A06D-66035580832C.jpeg
    A6487439-8FEF-4291-A06D-66035580832C.jpeg
    944.8 KB · Views: 22
@802flyfish there are some really outstanding breeders in Utah and Idaho. Also a good one in the Bitterroot.

If you don’t mind driving further, Finn’s mom will be having her last litter this year. I can put you in touch with the breeder if you’d like.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get a GSP to do anything. They are at their best covering 25 miles a day in country like this. Mine actually despise ducks. I think GSPS are incredibly underrated as family dogs, but they’re not Goldens.
A couple fellas above have shown their GSPs can obviously work from a blind, they’ve done a great job training. Most of us will have better luck with a breed that is suited to how we want to hunt.
I’m 65 and in all candor I asked myself several times this weekend what the hell I was doing in hells canyon hunting chukar. My girls are 8 and 9 and likely will be my last GSPs. I might have to get a GWP or (gasp) a yellow lab.

Attachments

• 8137E844-DAB4-408B-93DB-35D80593A2B5.jpeg
    8137E844-DAB4-408B-93DB-35D80593A2B5.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 45C4DB3F-67B6-402F-A884-1CF9CFD97A84.jpeg
    45C4DB3F-67B6-402F-A884-1CF9CFD97A84.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 16
  • 85497436-669B-4AB9-A8F1-076D6165CBE7.jpeg
    85497436-669B-4AB9-A8F1-076D6165CBE7.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
  • FAD637E9-B494-4A29-9173-926C5A61394F.jpeg
    FAD637E9-B494-4A29-9173-926C5A61394F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 4B3C7DF7-BCD7-4572-A689-E8100E2BE4A7.jpeg
    4B3C7DF7-BCD7-4572-A689-E8100E2BE4A7.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 16
One thing to consider about Labs: I have found the hair shedding problem seems to be worse for yellow variety. I have owned both black and chocolate but my brothers have had nothing but yellow. Now I'm not saying black Labs don't shed, but it seemed the yellow Labs hair either shows up more prominently or they shed more. My clothes were always covered with it any time I went to my brothers' homes. Anyone else notice this? As far as disposition, health issues, and hunting ability, there is no difference (though I have heard from several sources the "silver" Labs are duds in the field).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back