Caribou Gear Tarp

Camping in Dillon

CUElk

Hey everyone, my son and I are coming to the Dillon area for a hunt this fall (hopefully). I have hunted the area quite a few times so I know where we will be hunting but we have never tent camped. I have some areas in mind, just wondering if anyone from the area or who has camped there would be willing for me to ask a few questions. I have purchased a used wall tent that we will be using. Would also like to pick your brain on wall tent camping. I have camped frequently for many years and have all the gear just have never camped with a wall tent. Any suggestions for items you cannot do without? thanks

Ask away. I assume you are talking about Dillon MT? If so Dillon is surrounded by BLM and USFS land so you can camp almost anywhere on the Fed lands. Wall tent wise make sure you bring a couple of mouse traps.

I have camped many places down there. Tons of BLM. Pletny of campsites. Clark Canyon is free and improved. Wind is insane though.

As stated lots of BLM & Forest Service. I hunted antelope near Bannack this last fall and stayed at the campground there. It's nice and clean and has bathrooms and the creek flows right next to it. Pretty sweet. They have a tee pee that is set up that you can rent too and stay in. It's really cheap and you can call and reserve it. Many years before when my son was about 10 we camped there and were going to tent camp in the campground but saw the tee pee was open so we stayed in it instead. It's nice and roomy and you can stand up in it which is nice too.

David

I have camped many places down there. Tons of BLM. Pletny of campsites. Clark Canyon is free and improved. Wind is insane though.

I like to camp at that lake in May. The first time I did this I set my dome tent up and ran out to glass for bears. Came back to a tent floating in the lake. Snagged it with a fishing lure and set it back up to sleep in that night.

I like to camp at that lake in May. The first time I did this I set my dome tent up and ran out to glass for bears. Came back to a tent floating in the lake. Snagged it with a fishing lure and set it back up to sleep in that night.

That's funny now, not so much then, i'm sure. I saw a 12x20 wall tent move 2 feet. It was tied down.

sorry, yes Dillon montana. yeh, we camped at clark canyon last year, it was nice and clean but the wind was crazy. couple areas I have in mind- near the horse prairie cabin, on the interstate side of tendoy mountains, or along big sheep creek road. I want to camp in an area with good road access so we can hunt multiple locations if needed. shoot me a message if you want to suggest a specific spot. thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcat1984
Back