Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Camels

Randi

Has anyone here hunted Camels ?

It doesn't look like a hard hunt--what do you do with the meat.?

Is Australia the only place where they are hunted ?

To my knowledge with the exception of the wild bactrian camel which is critically endangered, all 'wild' camels are feral the largest population being in Oz.

I’m yet to hunt them here in Oz but have several mates that have. We have many hundreds of thousands of them and all are declared as a feral / introduced species.
Being nomadic, you need to cover a lot of ground with the vehicles etc to loacate herds. The terrain is generally desert with low bush. Hard stalking when your prey towers above the schrubs and can see your approach. The bulls are very aggressive towards predators - I’ve seen them kill a dog that was stupid enough to chase them. They can kick their legs in multiple directions with great accuracy.
300WinMag with at strongly constructed bullet would be choice of calibre. The sandy country they live in tends to mat into their fur, producing a natural bullet resistence for smaller calibres.
Now the meat - I have eaten camel - those T-bones are HUGE and were very tasty.

Bull Camel Skull

Attachments

• 9593C2D4-A040-4534-8396-26D0991C6781.jpeg
    9593C2D4-A040-4534-8396-26D0991C6781.jpeg
    824.4 KB · Views: 38
ozzydave. Thank you, I appreciate the information.

pabearhunter--I had run into a man who spoke of seeing them when he was visiting Australia and he said they hunt them but had no knowledge about it himself. I pm'd Europe and ask her. She was kind enough to tell me what she knew but said that her information was dated. Apparently the farmers hate them, like we hate wolves and coyotes as they damage water holes, tear up fences, and can kill other farm animals. She suggested I ask on the forum as she thought she remembered the forum had an australian member, so I did. I guess the bottom line is I was curious.

wilm1313, thank you as well

Destructive to the max. There was a community in a remote area living in fear - too afraid to go outside. The camels had been attracted to the water. They were ripping air con units off sides of houses, tearing taps out of ground chasing moisture - basically being a right nuisance.
They are certainly on my bucket list.
The area i was planning to hunt got a big drenching of rain back in February this year, something like 36inches, so they’ve now spread out over many millions of acres. To give you an idea on how mobile you need to be, the place I have access to is 1.8 MILLION acres - can be a needle in a haystack type thing.
We welcome anyone taking out feral animals here.

Reactions: LCH
OZZYDAVE, I knew we had an Australian member. Thanks for answering Randi's question. I remember your mates telling us when we visited your wonderful country that the Aboriginal elders, that were taught by christians, would not kill the camel, as they thought since they brought the 3 wise men to the baby Jesus, that they were sacred animals . But todays Aboriginal men, do hunt them and bring the meat to their family. We did not hunt them but did have the opportunity to taste the meat. I thought it was o.k., better than Kangaroo, not as good as an angus beef steak (-;

OZZYDAVE-----America also has enjoyed the idea of bringing animals in from other places. The Oryx has done well in New Mexico and I am sure Dirtclod loves all the cute wild burros in Arizona. And I wont even try to explain the rational behind "re introducing" the wolf

"America also has enjoyed the idea of bringing animals in from other places".

While I do admit an affinity for Huns, Pheasants, and Brown Trout - please don't confuse Texas with America:giggle:

LOL, good points in regards to the birds and fish

-in regards to Texas,------------Harley, your up! (-:

Was at the taxidermist last week and low and behold what does he have up on the finishing wall.

Attachments

• 8C9852C5-95FD-496B-9584-03AE5F4B8BE0.jpeg
    8C9852C5-95FD-496B-9584-03AE5F4B8BE0.jpeg
    836.3 KB · Views: 19
I read a post from an Australian guy on Accurate Reloading a few years ago when there was a severe drought and so many camels came into the area that the military actually used helicopters to haze about 7,000 (yes thousand) away from town and then blasted them. Before anybody calls B.S. He posted news links and had photos from his own yard where he and neighbors killed a bunch of them by their houses. It was a real mess. I will try to find the link and post it tonight. There are a number of outfitters that sell feral camel, donkey and hog hunts that look like quite an adventure and they kill a lot of animals. JD Jones (SSK) and Larry Kelly (MagnaPort) used to go there to test ammo/handguns and they wrote of killing hundreds in a matter of days.

I did quick search and did not find it but here is just about everything you would want to read on the topic including DIY hunts including one where they KILLED 606 donkeys in 4 1/2 days...........

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums?a=search&reqWords=camel&forumOID=5621043&p=1

Last edited:
There are a few members on here from Australia, I've seen hunt reports and very interesting photos from one of them hunting camels and other interesting animals on here. I didn't make the effort to search for them, but search and you should find something on here. If I ever make it to Australia I'd hunt 'em.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back