Camels

OzzyDave

Just something a little different.
One of my bucket list animals is the feral camel, probably our largest feral and I think fits into the big game category. With approximately 1 to 1.2million population density (shaded green) they live in the interior of the country, which is mainly desert / arid type area.

The planning has started for a trip but finding the time that coincides with my hunting mate is the hardest part. I’d primarily like to bow hunt them but the rifle would be an option. I’ve got a 41Ruger that I’ve not blooded yet. The access we have, they are an incidental sighting but my mate has access to country where they are more common. I had a tentative trip slotted in for the end of March BUT there were some big rains and flooding in the area, so it all went on hold. The rain will spread them out but will also drag others from the drier areas into our part of the country.
The extreme remoteness and wandering nature of the camel makes them a worthy hunt. Staying mobile would be the key and having a VERY reliable vehicle to get us in and back. The males have a set of fangs that would give a bear a run for it’s money. I wouldn’t like one trying to give me a love bite.

I've read a few other accounts of camel hunting down there, seems like a unique adventure. Never knew they had fangs either!

I would love to hunt them! Interested in how the meat tastes, and having skull would be cool.

A nice camel t-bone aged for a week or so is prime eating.
There are some landowners that muster them and sell them to countries in Northern Africa - very lucrative because they are so genetically diverse from there own populations.

Would be quite the adventure. Not nearly what I would have guessed the skull looked like.

Now a hunt like that would definitely be a different kind of story to tell to my friends and family.

That skull is crazy looking for a herbavor

I was also going to comment on how far out those chompers are for an herbivore. Tan the hide and that would be one hell of a rug!!!

What is the purpose of those fangs?

If they are similar to llamas (of camelid family) then they are for fighting. I've had the fighting teeth on my llamas filed down, the males can really injure each other with them.

Back