calls

stickthrower

Hey guys and gals. Iv been looking at the mouth calls. Is there advantages or disadvantages to single vs multi reed. Or is it personal preference. I'm assuming some brands are better than others. Info?

its what you like but generally less reeds are easier to make sounds while muti reeds offer more sound options. try several different sizes (fit) and reed materials and eventually you will find 1 that fits you well and makes sounds that you like. when i find one i like i buy a few for spares and store them in corner of fridge, they last years that way. call manafactures are always changing designs and reeds in a attempt to increase sales so when you find one stock up. practice and practice with it and you will get some funny looks at traffic lights....

CCC

Last week was hanging out with a couple hunters who are much more experienced and incredibly more accomplished than myself, and they kept saying that if you haven't spent a whole lot of time close to elk, the best thing you can do with your calls is stuff them into the bottom of your back, or better yet leave them at home, just make sure their out of reach.

I plan on using this method a little more this fall.

Thanks illl get some and check em out. As far as the elk thing goes. I live in elk country. Good ok Wilson unit. See them daily. Just trying to get away from my other calls and go hands free. Got my bow out and put some money into it. Elk season right around the corner.

CCC is right on just make sure and practice a ton. It can take a very long time to get used to a diaphragm. I would also take along an open reed as they can be easier to use. I take lots of different calls along as you never know what they want to hear. Find resources online I use youtube mostly and listen to real elk as well as other callers on there and try to imitate the best you can.

I tend to use the single reed calls. Yellow Mama, Ragin Bull and a few others.

I find that I get a lot better response using diaphragm calls than any of the Hoochie Mama or other calls. The only one that can sometimes get a result for me when my diaphragm calls can't is the "I Maka Da Bull Crazy" call.

You must have an open reed, then a diaphragm. The open reeds give you the truest elk tones, particularly estrus calls. When he's hot and coming get on the mouth calls to free up your hands. I like the primos ivory plate. More reeds equal better tone range but can be more difficult. A double reed is a good place to be. Different shapes for different mouths so keep that in mind. I don't like calls that have built ins for proper alignment, they limit how you can manipulate the call. Carry it in your pocket and practice like crazy. You should be able to talk normally with the call in. When storing, rinse with cold water and a splash of mouth wash then put in fridge.

Single reed for me too. Raging bull is my go to call. Tried many doubles/triples but don't like them as much. All comes down to preference and if you make a better sound on one than the other.

Also like open reed calls like the who's yrr daddy, hyperlip, etc. The open reeds have that great nasally tone.

Redwood is correct (IMO), open reed to me is a must and sound most life like. Hear a guy in the woods with a diaphragm and he sounds good but usually a little "light". A person with an open reed sounds more natural.

Maybe not as "cool" as a diaphragm but on average a better tone.

Back