Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Calling Idaho Wolves???

JWhunter

Anybody have any experieince particularly in unit 36 Idaho, by Stanley. I just bought a Foxpro Spitfire and plan on using it over Christmas breal

I would say find the elk then look for wolf sign in those areas. If you feel good about an area give it a shot. Cold calling is a low odds strategy for wolves IMHO. So find wolves then call.
Give it a shot if you don't go your odds drop to 0%. Good luck!

JW - Did you have any luck with this last year? I got a call this year as well. I tried it this weekend. We were in a canyon where we have seen lots of wolf sign over the years. sure enough there was wolf sign again. We set it up in the bottom near a fork in the drainage where we could see a little ways. Sat for 20 mins using distress calls and nothing. got up and started working towards a ridgetop and about 45 minutes after we called last, we heard a wolf howl way up the drainage in the opposite direction that we went up. Guessing they were a mile off. I howled and it sounded like about four wolves total were answering in the same area. After about 10 minutes they worked off in the opposite direction.

I think this next weekend I'm going to use more of cow elk calls and calf distress calls. I might howl at first to try and get one to answer but after that I'll try to move in and use cow calls. A similar approach works for bugling elk so why not try that method.

Anybody have good luck calling wolves and can offer any advise?

Try a coyote howler. Wolves hate coyotes. I have one, just haven't had the opportunity to use it. Having fresh sign would be best obviously. The man that I took the trapping class from suggested it. mtmuley

Maybe one of those Montana Decoy Coyotes along with the howler...so they can see the coyote...even one of those electronic things with the tail that swirls around if that's legal will get them riled up.

...if there is sign. Are decoys like that legals for wolves, or just the electronic calls?

I believe in Idaho anything other than baiting is legal for attracting wolves. Trapping is limited to the northern units.

Whatever you do, we appreciate your efforts JW!! Hopefully the Idaho draw Gods will reward you with a tag this year as well...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back