Calling Elk?

archeryguy

When you are hunting, and a Elk, hangs up on you. Can you use a cow-n-heat call to make him curious?

I rarely use my bugle,I'm bad. I'm also not a bow hunter.
But I have had luck with estrous cow calls getting bulls to come in. A calf chirp 2 yrs ago turned a bull who was leaving with the cows.

No sir, this especially so that there is no such sound that a cow makes that alerts a bull that she's in estrus! The only way a bull knows is when her body emits an airborne chemical called pheromone. This is done through her sweating or urination. The scent then hits the air & bulls will detect this scent from close or long distances when downwind or in her presence.

Your much better off to eliminate bad setups & calling to elk you can visually see. Elk can get to a spot as they are lured in by our calling & when too open of terrain exits & they get to a spot they know they should see the source of the calling & see nothing they can hang up there! The same can apply to elk you can see & you call to them, in most cases elk will call you their way through a cow or bull sound, when you don't show up or show yourself they can get suspicious & hang up or move off entirely. Avoid such things & you will reduce hang ups!

ElkNut/Paul

I call in way more elk with a cow call than I do with a bugle. When AN elk hangs up, there’s not usually much that can be done in my experience.

The elknut app is also a great resource to identify sounds, what they mean, and when to employ them. I definitely feel like a better, more confident caller since I've downloaded it, and used extensively during practice sessions. Thanks Elknut!

No sir, this especially so that there is no such sound that a cow makes that alerts a bull that she's in estrus! The only way a bull knows is when her body emits an airborne chemical called pheromone. This is done through her sweating or urination. The scent then hits the air & bulls will detect this scent from close or long distances when downwind or in her presence.

Your much better off to eliminate bad setups & calling to elk you can visually see. Elk can get to a spot as they are lured in by our calling & when too open of terrain exits & they get to a spot they know they should see the source of the calling & see nothing they can hang up there! The same can apply to elk you can see & you call to them, in most cases elk will call you their way through a cow or bull sound, when you don't show up or show yourself they can get suspicious & hang up or move off entirely. Avoid such things & you will reduce hang ups!

ElkNut/Paul
I guess I am just hearing other guys with cow calls making estrous sounds....
Guess the tips I got from Corey J on one method of cow calling bulls is bs.
Kinda like cows never make bugle sounds either.

Buy the ElkNut recordings. Practice. Find a buddy. Make them practice.

Have the buddy caller be 50 to 100 yards behind you while you wait for the bull to come walking along. Solo calling is much, much harder than tandem calling.

New here...what is this elknut I'm reading g about...very interested
He just commented above. Paul is a very knowledgeable and passionate elk hunter. I credit him for the bulls my brother and i shot on our 1st elk hunt. Just search elknut or paul medel in podcasts. Highly recommend the elknut app as well.

Thank you for the comments guys! I appreciate it very much!

Hank, you bet sir, Cows do Bugle, the question is why? I've shared info about this for 25 years. It's in the PlayBook & can be heard on the ElkNut Mobile App, it's discussed thoroughly why & how we can use this as an effective tool while on our elk hunts! Here's two clips of Cows Bugling!

I'd also like you to go over this info I've shared on past sites if you would about Cows making Breeding Sounds! There's also a video clip where you can hear this Scream/Buzz being used well outside Breeding Months, there's many more of these throughout youtube clips. Not trying to step on toes here, just sharing accurate info!

What's its meaning? What is this particular sound & why do elk use it? Taking a sound out of context & applying a definition to it could be inaccurate, so to know the true meaning the best we can, we must see this sound being used by the elk in many different instances. All these instances should have similar meaning & conclusions as to what it means or we could be off in its definition!

Some say it's a breeding sound used by cows wanting a bull’s attention as she nears estrus? If this were true it likely would be reserved for late Aug, Sept & Oct & parts of Nov are even possible! It most likely would not be heard outside of this time frame or it would not be a true breeding sound since elk do not breed/rut at any other times, if elk do use this sound various times of year then it must have a different meaning other than a breeding sound? Since elk do use this sound throughout the course of the year, meaning it can be heard any month or season! Does this mean because we want it to mean a certain thing so bad that we should overlook that it's being used in non breeding months too? No, it means we need to reevaluate our understanding!

There's quite a bit of footage of this sound that can be seen, not at anytime will you see a cow being mounted as she's using it, no, instead, rarely will you ever hear a cow make any sound or whine of any sort as she is being bred by a bull. I've witnessed this many times over the years & have yet to hear any cow make this sound while being bred. But elk will use this Contact buzz under situations where excitement or separation is involved within their group or using this sound when there are several nearby groups within earshot of each other. It's not unusual at all to hear cows in different groups as they make contact with one another inviting them their way or just using this sound for direction to other elk that may be lagging way behind as they travel. Like any elk sound it can be used subtly or in a demanding/urgent tone. Will bulls respond to it? You bet, but so do the cows, just like bulls respond to a variety of other cow sounds too, it doesn't mean all cow sounds are estrus type sounds to the bulls! (grin) Food for thought! We need to focus when we ourselves may be able to apply this sound to pull other elk our way or use this Buzz when a bull responds by calling us his way, we can use this sound as we head straight at him keeping the wind & cover in our favor, noise is not an issue as this bull fully expects this cow to come as he urges her too!

ElkNut/Paul

Buy the Elknut Playbook. Best $ you will invest towards harvesting an elk. It is required reading for anyone that I hunt with. Looking at a 6 point bull on my wall right now that apparently read the book too as he did EXACTLY what Paul said he would.

The first year I elk hunted my buddy and I were at a water hole one morning at daylight. The herd had just left the water before we got there and were heading up a ridge away from us and the herd bull was screaming like crazy. The ridge they were going up was pretty open so we could see the elk about 500 yards away. My hunting buddy is older and I had already tagged out and I didn't know if he wanted to try to make that climb to get after them. Nothing was going on where we were so he finally said "let's go after them" so away we went. By the time we got up there they had moved a couple hundred yards further and the bull was still bugling like crazy. We closed to within about 150 yards and set up. Every time I would cow call he would respond and he starting coming. I knew not to call too much. My buddy was about 40 yards in front of me and I was tucked into some thick stuff so I was well hidden. After only a couple of minutes of calling a satellite bull sneaked up from the side of the ridge right in my lap. He was a decent bull and I was hoping to see an arrow come flying through the air but my buddy was facing towards the herd bull and never saw him. The big bull came to about 75 yards and hung up. So I decided to move just a little and started raking trees with a stick. He was really fired up but simply wouldn't leave his cows and come the remaining 50 yards for the shot. All of a sudden another bull started bugling at the bottom of the ridge and then both bulls started bugling back and forth. Within a couple of minutes I could tell the herd bull was headed down the ridge towards the challenger and within another minute I saw the other bull running away across to the next ridge. It was then that I realized that had I had the ability to chuckle or bugle myself that herd bull probably would have come in on a trot. I guess what I learned is to have the ability to mix it up. This was during the opening week of archery season in CO. That bull bugled more than 200 times that morning. It was an incredible hunt. Rookie mistake and I now have a bugle tube in my pack at all times. I had always been told that the rut didn't kick in until the 2nd or 3rd week of Sept. It was certainly in full swing that day during opening week.

Where can I find elknut playbook?
Is it part of the app?

Last edited:
I don’t have the playbook, but i’m guessing most of the info is in the app. The app is great. I use it a lot when practicing my calls, and also in the elk woods when i encounter a situation that i’m not prepared for. I pretty much listen to the podcasts Paul has done on repeat this time of year. don’t overlook the podcasts, especially with Rich Outdoors and Hunt Backcountry podcasts.

nontyp, thank you!

The Playbook is not part of the ElkNut Mobile App, there is info from the Book that overlaps in the App for sure but the App has a bit of everything. Obviously much can be learned from both. The Slow Play Sequence is reserved for the App at this time, it is not in any other DVD or Cd we offer. If you're an Elk Hunter the App is a must have!

Elk season is right around the corner for us Archers, good luck everyone!

ElkNut/Paul

If you know he's hanging up, and he hasn't thrown out a nervous grunt hit him with it first. That call will give him a tiny bit more confidence that you're another elk and come in a little further to investigate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back