Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Calling Black Bear?

It defintely works! Elk hunting in the September turned into bear hunting when we spotted one crossing a meadow about 150 yards from us. Crossed the creek and squealed on the elk diaphragm for about a minute and I looked over my shoulder and there was a different bear stalking in directly behind us probably 40 yards away! Talk about adrenaline. No clue where that bear came from cause we had literally walked through there 5 minutes before that. He or she spun around and ran off. Rattled and excited at the same time. I thought my buddy was just reliving the moment saying “here comes the bear” only to realize he was telling me the original bear was running in what from the other direction. He stopped broadside, my buddy gave me the range, and he got schwacked! Pretty crazy how quick they came in. And definitely a crazy adrenaline rush regardless, but especially calling in two bears with only bows! Not the greatest picture but he was a medium sized boar. Not a lot of time to judge when they’re running towards ya. 76C9A9ED-08BA-4D1B-A260-E928A1BFF33E.jpeg

I’ve only tried it twice. Both last spring. Both came in on a string. First one was a sow that came charging like she wanted to eat me. Second was this tank…and I shot it.
What kind of call? Rabbit?

Have had one come in during a spring coyote hunt, where I like to use fawn distress calls. Came in fast and on a one way mission, unfortunately wasn't season for black bears here in Commifornia.

A couple years ago my partner and I found a small bear that we didn't want to shoot so I called to her, just messing around. She picked up her head and trotted straight to us. Pretty fun experience.

It defintely works! Elk hunting in the September turned into bear hunting when we spotted one crossing a meadow about 150 yards from us. Crossed the creek and squealed on the elk diaphragm for about a minute and I looked over my shoulder and there was a different bear stalking in directly behind us probably 40 yards away! Talk about adrenaline. No clue where that bear came from cause we had literally walked through there 5 minutes before that. He or she spun around and ran off. Rattled and excited at the same time. I thought my buddy was just reliving the moment saying “here comes the bear” only to realize he was telling me the original bear was running in what from the other direction. He stopped broadside, my buddy gave me the range, and he got schwacked! Pretty crazy how quick they came in. And definitely a crazy adrenaline rush regardless, but especially calling in two bears with only bows! Not the greatest picture but he was a medium sized boar. Not a lot of time to judge when they’re running towards ya. View attachment 223213
Congrats

I called mine in last year with an elk diaphragm making distress calls like a jackrabbit or something. Came down a tree 100 yards away trying to circle. It works!

Attachments

• FE3FB7CC-1C75-477B-8C4E-EC9B456C542E.jpeg
    FE3FB7CC-1C75-477B-8C4E-EC9B456C542E.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 16
My buddy and his friend called in a black bear last year with a fawn distress call. I made an attempt last fall with the same call without any lucky. I was blind calling in a spot with lots of bear sign that did not have great glassing opportunities. I made sure to be in a spot that I could see 360 in case something came in. I am new to bear hunting and have no idea if I was doing it right, but I was blowing constantly and shaking a downed branch (trying to mimic a trapped deer) for 45 minutes non-stop.

We were elk hunting, but I had a bear tag, and when a bear walked by just out of archery range, my daughter blew on her Primos Cow Girl (when we were practicing at home, we realized that if you don't bite down and blow really hard, it makes a pretty good predator call). The bear stopped and turned towards us and stood still for a good broadside shot. In hindsight I should have waited and/or not shot at all because we only had her in sight for less than a minute, and although we didn't see any cubs, they could have been trailing a little further behind. I like the advice of only calling once you know it's a boar or a sow w/o cubs.

The Cow Girl is a rock star when it comes to being user friendly and great as a predator call when you really after it with it. Couple years back I called in a corker red phase to 34 yards with it. Then last fall called in a really good black phase to 42 yards with it.

Lots of tunes/sounds will get them to come, I've even used a peacock call to get them to come...

Anyone use the primos coyote bear buster call for bear? Had good reviews on scheels and other sites so I ordered one and just got it in. May give it a shot at some yotes this weekend. Not sure how much action I will get with our current temps. When it is 112 in the day it is still 90+ at 5-6am....

Yeah Bigbuck I've used that one as well.

One of the keys to getting a bruin to come is to play a tune that perks his interest. That's one of the nice things about spotting a bruin first so you can observe how he is or isn't responding to your call. Don't be afraid to mix up he cadence, the sounds and the volume.

In. New Mexico on private ranch we spotted a cow elk got below where she was. Gave a cow call and a black bear came running down mountain. I can just remember seeing its arm muscles rippling. When it got about 30 yards away pulled bow back and it turned tail and ran away.
I have used predator calls blindly since but nothing else ever has come in.

Have called in several over the past few years.
Mostly use a coyote call or fawn/elk in distress.

Last year i tried a different tactic.

We found several areas where the trees were marked bu bears.
Grabbed a small tree and shook the heck out of it while kicking the leaves and doing what i hoped was a bear vocalization.

Couple minutes later we heard some shots close by (100 yards). Seems that not only was a bear coming towards us, but other hunters as well.

No blood trail from the bear.

I have called in a few. Like @Mato noted above, the ones I was able to observe from a distance seemed to lose interest as soon as I stopped calling.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back