California Vacation

nontyp

Thinking about heading to California with the wife for a little get away this summer. She really wants to check out the wine scene in Sonoma. I was thinking we could hit up Sequoia NP and do some hiking and camping in that general area for a few days and then head to Sonoma for a few days. Anyone been in that area and recommend anything we should do or check out? We don’t have anything set in stone yet so we are open to suggestions. Any input would be appreciated!

I woulda suggested a trip over Tioga thru Yosemite & stay @ Wowona. Then go to Central Coast on 41 head thru that wine country,up thru Big Sur on HWY 1 to Sonoma,then back thru Tahoe. But that's a long trip too...lol

Last edited:
Muir woods are an unforgetable experience,then cut east to Sonoma county.Remember northern Sonoma burned not to long ago.Might want to make a few calls.(Wine Train)etc.

You want to do the Napa/Sonoma area, and yes there was a huge fire there last year. But the hills a green now. They won't be in the summer though. You may also want to do a trip up to Healdsburg area, I think its prettier than the Sonoma Valley!

Last edited:
Yosemite blew my mind when we were there in January. I only wish we could have spent more time there, but snow had closed off a lot of the park.

Sonoma is a good choice, more laid back than the Napa scene. If you do get the desire to check out Yosemite, be advised in the summer the valley gets pretty choked by tourists. Highway 49 is a nice drive through the gold rush country coming from the southern sierras towards sacramento. If you go farther north on 49, it will swing you north over I 80 which is never a fun drive to get into the bay area. And if you're looking to spend some time near the water, renting a house up in The Sea Ranch on the Sonoma coast and staring at the ocean never sucks..

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it! Keep it coming if you have any other tips or must see things while we’re in the area.

If wanting to do Yosemite/Sequoia, dont go to Napa/Sonoma. Go to Paso Robles. Great wineries in there (Justin, Halter Ranch, Bianchi, etc.) and significantly less expensive/crowded than up north. Will get a much more intimate experience and avoid the weekend college kids getting hammered on tastings. Short drive from Paso (30 min) is the central coast and its BEAUTIFUL this time of year.

Also for beer, the Firestone Walker brewery is in Paso and its an awesome experience.

Northern California has some beautiful coastline, get out to HWY 1 and do some driving. Mendocino is a cool area. Find some good seafood!

If you want to avoid the summer crowds of Napa and Sonoma, the Central Coast has some great wine tasting and such as well, between Paso Robles and Santa Barbara.

My Wife and I are spending the night in Crescent City CA after a day on the Redwood Highway. Avenue of the Giants side road and scenic route.
Everyone should do this in their lifetime.

Hi Nontyp,
I've lived in San Francisco the last 18 years and I'm intimately familiar with Sonoma County. Feel free to message me with any questions. I'll help if I can. In Sebastopol there is a winery called Iron Horse--fantastic views, rustic outside tasting area (bring some cash for BBQ oysters--don't take CC's for food, just the wine). Best bargain in wine country lodging is the L&M Hotel. It is in Healdsburg (#1 destination town in Sonoma Country) and within walking distance of the square. It isn't a high end hotel, but it is clean, great location, well run and friendly--book ahead.

You want to do the Napa/Sonoma area, and yes there was a huge fire there last year. But the hills a green now. They won't be in the summer though. You may also want to do a trip up to Healdsburg area, I think its prettier than the Sonoma Valley!

I agree with Healdsburg over Sonoma or Napa Valley. The Dry Creek and Russian River areas are my favorite to go tasting (I live in Sonoma County). If you are looking for something specific as far as wine tasting, I can help with some recommendations. You should definitely also pop over to the ocean. The north coast is stunning (although if you go through Big Sur you might be slightly less impressed with the North Coast).

Pacific Coast Hwy through Big Sue is still closed from a washout but it is a drive to do in your lifetime.

Yosemite, Yosemite, Yosemite but best between Labor Day and Memorial Day, not the reverse.

How many days? CA is a huge state. Redwoods to Sequoias is probably a day's drive. You can see Sequoias in Mariposa Grove at Yosemite to save the divert to Sequoia or Kings Canyon.

Pacific Coast Hwy through Big Sue is still closed from a washout but it is a drive to do in your lifetime.

Yosemite, Yosemite, Yosemite but best between Labor Day and Memorial Day, not the reverse.

How many days? CA is a huge state. Redwoods to Sequoias is probably a day's drive. You can see Sequoias in Mariposa Grove at Yosemite to save the divert to Sequoia or Kings Canyon.

We are thinking 7 days. Thanks for the tip on the Mariposa grove. That may be a better plan just to spend more time at yosemite rather than trying to hit multiple parks. It looks like we will be going either mid july or mid august. I work in agriculture so spring and fall don’t work well with my work or hunting schedule. Really appreciate all the feedback from everyone. I’m definitely using this info as my guide for planning and I will probably be sending pms to you guys once I get some more solid plans.

Last edited:
Sounds great! I don't live in CA any more but visited Yosemite probably ten times when I did in all seasons. There isn't a great photographer' guide, book or app from Michael Frye. Believe it's $10 either way. I have both.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back