MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

California Black Bears

GoGriz

I know California has the largest population of black bears in at least the lower 48 states (I’m pretty sure that’s true or really close to true). I would love to be able to begin to hone my bear hunting location/ timing now, so when my kids are old enough, I can take them. What are some things that I need to be looking for as I start to hone in on areas to check and explore for good numbers? I would love to stay around central California, but would be willing to drive farther north to find them. Any suggestions on best time to hunt them, what ti look for in topography, etc. and are they usually best hunted away from civilization as possible, or do they not really care if people are around in the general area?

Thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone has beat me to this search by a few years and might have a pointer or two.

Thanks!

GoGriz,

Nobody has answered in a month, but I'll try to add something to this thread. I have not hunted bear in California, but have been doing some research on it. The north section of the state, on the coast side of the state is where most of the bears are located. There are a number in the Sierras also. Check both. As you may know, there were once a lot of Grizzly bears in California, but they are now extinct. From my research most of the bears are located in the Cascades which extend from NorCal into Oregon and Washington.

Bear tags are quite reasonable for non-resident, and more so for residents. See rates for hunting and tag fees at the following link. Hunting licenses vary for year/weekend/day kinda thing, so check for yourself.

Pig tags are cheap here also, you might think about picking one up in case you see a pig. Resident is a much better deal.

I should also add, bear season in California coincides with Deer season, which is pretty much August to December 31st. There is no spring bear season in California.

Use the annual bear harvest data to help hone in on bear numbers. We have seen them all over, and have had a few real good opportunities over the years. Most CA hunters get a bear tag as an after thought to their deer tag just in case they come across one; and it does happen often. PM me if interested in continuing this conversation.

Just go into the Trinity alps. I swear more bears than deer.
This is true for many areas and forests I visit in Northern CA. At least while driving forest roads I typically see more bear than legal bucks. Mendocino, Lassen, Plumas, Shasta all have healthy populations. I don't spend much time in Eldorado or Tahoe NF but would bet they are loaded as well.

The Trinity Alps may have more bear than deer, but from my experience I think there were more hunters than deer. You can get away from many hunters by backpacking but with game to pack out it can be a nightmare. And not everyone has a horse.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back