MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

California Bighorn in Idaho

Thanks for the comments guys. It was a fun trip. I have to give kudos to BOY as he shot that ram on Sunday, but I didn't leave until the following Sunday. Since we had some time to kill we spent a good part of the week looking around more of that country. One day we even found a few chukars...
IMG_2981.jpg

We took a bit of a break chukar hunting one day as there was a bit of a traffic jam on the road we needed to use to get out. This isn't something too many Hoosiers get to see and I enjoyed watching it happen as it related to my former job.
IMG_2951.jpg
That's some tough country to be moving cattle through...

Much of the area above the canyons burned in 2008 (I think) and much of the new stuff looks really good. Kinda cool to see this in country more typical for pronghorns.
IMG_2967.jpg

We did see a few pronghorns and got a picture of this buck. I'm horrible at judging pronghorns, but this one's about as nice as I've ever seen in the wild. I'd appreciate a guess on length and/or score from the pronghorn 'sperts.
IMG_2979.jpg

IMG_2977.jpg

For the dead head and shed antler crowd, BOY spotted something suspicious the day before the season opened across a canyon while we were glassing. He made the hike as I was too lazy, but he made a couple of cool finds. They were about 30yds apart.
IMG_2743.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

The sheep skull had a large abcess on the lower jaw and we wonder if that's what did him in...

Not sure what the final score would be, but the measurements taken by the ID F&G when he was checked in was 16” bases on both horns 31.5” on the short side and 33.5” on the long side. IMO, a very good representative California bighorn.

Bambistew- I’d say I’m the lucky one. Not too many folks think a 300# guy is an asset on a sheep hunt! :D

BOY is excited to now be able to put in for LE deer, elk, pronghorn in Idaho as he hasn’t done that for over 20yrs. However, with as many points as he has in multiple states, I doubt this is his last sheep hunt. As far as luck, I’m selling bottles of sun tea made from his “lucky drawers” for $100 a bottle!! :D

TBone- The chorizos in camp were amazing. However, I still haven’t been able to get the recipe out of him or anyone else involved in the making of them. Wine hasn’t even helped. Dang Basquos… ;)

Randy11- I was almost certain he’d shoot one at the bottom and had indigestion for days thinking about it. I did get lucky and only peed myself a little as the ram fell only about ½ way down the canyon.

BillyGoat- He has every upland bird but I don't know about waterfowl. He’s not too into waterfowl. In fact, a few years ago ID F&G had a brief article about him in one of their pubs for shooting all 5 species of grouse in one season. All the grouse are mounted and in his trophy room. Which considering his age and income level is super impressive and the Calif. Bighorn, full body Stone Sheep, and full body brown bear aren’t even there yet! Here’s a pic of the brown bear from this spring on Kodiak…
Picture172.jpg

congrats on the great hunting, awesome trip. Looks like boy has some serious hunting luck.

Incredible story and picture, congrats to you BOY on another Idaho dandy... one day I hope to do the same... Thanks for the story Pointer :)

BOY is awesome! Put in for a Swan hunt with him but we did not draw. Yes I thought the tag was a sure thing since I put in with him but he does not draw every tag like I think he does.
He takes some great animals-now to get him some great ducks in coming months.

HowaHunter- I think this might be the first time in about 6yrs he didn't draw a swan tag. He kinda deserved not drawing... ;)

Good luck on the ducks!

haha yeah but I was really hoping we would draw. Never got to hunt with him yet just working by his side every once in a while so I was excited for the experience. Hopefully next year brings us luck.

Great write up and i really enjoyed the pictures..that mate of yours is doing well with all those tags...and he is making the most of it by the looks of the hard earned animals...super effort..

haha yeah but I was really hoping we would draw. Never got to hunt with him yet just working by his side every once in a while so I was excited for the experience. Hopefully next year brings us luck.
Good luck in next year's draw! It's not the most exciting hunt, but if you time it right and shoot well you'll get a swan. Just make sure if you take a truck the dog doesn't jump out... :D We spent a couple of hours looking for his then new dog on the refuge after it exited the back of my truck!

Thanks for all the kudos. It was a fun hunt and I'm hoping some of his draw luck rubs off on me the next couple of years.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back