California A zone

Yep. OTC tags. There is public land but it takes some research. If i was going to come from out of state and wanted a P&Y Blacktail, i'd Wait For the B zones to open and then you have a shot at some good bucks on public land.

I've measured some book bucks from A zone and they nearly all come from private land in the RUI (Rural Urban Interface).

Can't wait! Yes, I think I hit 3 weekends that were 100+ out on the trail, but was still able to get it done on public land. Carrying those 8 liters of water up to our backcountry spot was a pain in the butt, but prepped me for carrying out the meat.

That all said, I admit I was one of those weeded out on opening weekend after seeing it was supposed to be 105. Turns out that staying at home didn't give me other weekends much cooler so think I'll suck it up this year.

I’ve always wanted to head that way to hunt them. I hear it tough but fun. The heat won’t bother me much haha. I’m shed hunting and scouting in 115 degree weather all summer haha. But now I’m miserable once it gets below 45 haha

I used to see Boonie Columbia Blacktails in my yard in Santa Cruz county, but had to drive almost four hours away to hunt public ground. I have no idea if my honey holes are any good after so long. It's been almost 30 years. I've learned so much in the intervening years it would be fun to have another go at them.

I used too see BC blacktails daily and they were all over the State Park I surfed. Never hunted in summer,starting in Sept was hot enough with a rifle...the Oak,the crunch,the heat.
My bro says my old neighborhood is where you still see decent bucks , in city limits or on the ranches. Nowhere near the numbers of any deer in the county. Too many lions,poachers & wineries.

OTC A-zone can be a really tough hunt, I was fortunate to know folks with ranches when I was a kid, and even then on the private land I never killed a big blacktail buck.

Never hunted there but spend a lot of time in Big Sur. Steep, thick country with some potential but can be a poison oak choked hell hole in a lot of places. If you were to ever stumble into a cartel grow it'd be there; Big Sur is where all the panga boats show up. Would be a tough hunt and yet have some good potential if you put in the leg work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back