Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Caliber suggestions.

I am a .308 fan. That being said if I had to start all over again my nod would be the 7mm08. No I don't own one but checking out the ballistics and shooting one. My opinion is the 7 just does it better. Maybe in my head and by no means does the .308 recoil feel terrible, but to me the 7 felt less from same gun make and model.

Buy a .260 Rem.
I have two and would only suggest this route if you handload or are willing to mail order all your ammo. For the non-handloader 6.5 Creedmoor would be an easy pick for me over the 260.
I think the OP was looking for " smaller, lighter, less recoil"
There is NO difference between '06, 25/06, or even a 243.
My two young sons will disagree with you on the recoil between a 30-06 and a 243. YMMV...

The weight difference between a 700 L/A and a 700 S/A is almost nonexistent IF all other components are the same. Yes, the action is heavier BUT the stock is the same length no matter which action goes in, and they have to remove more material from the stock to fit the L/A. There difference is a few ounces. Get a lightweight FRP stock setup for an ADL(no bottom metal), use a plastic butt plate instead of a recoil pad, use one of the newer plastic trigger guards instead of an old steel one, pick an aluminum bolt shroud, use aluminum bases and rings, then pair it with a light scope, and you’ll have a rifle that’s lighter most off the shelf model 7’s regardless of what action length you use.

Accuracy between a .257Rob and .308Win? Cartridges are not more or less accurate all by themselves. Some however, do have chamber/case/throat dimensions that make standard factory components work better without tinkering. If you’re reloading the only difference is that you can get good brass for a .308Win very easily, but good brass for .257Rob would have to be formed from some other case. If you’re buying factory loaded ammo, the .308Win will have a substantial advantage.

If you’re going short action, and .260 is the floor, I’d strongly recommend a 6.5 Creedmore. It’s essentially a .260Rem that fits better in a short action. If you’re considering a .257Rob, I would also throw a .243Win and 6mm Creedmore on the table. There is only one hunting bullet I’m aware over 120gr for a .257” bore, and lots of excellent 115gr 6mm offerings. In 6mm, the .243Win and 6mm CM both fit S/A magazines well with just about any bullet, so they are essentially the same.

Mark V Backcountry 270 Weatherby --6.3 #

or

Vanguard Synthetic compact 7mm-08--6.5 #

IMHO the 270 Weatherby caliber is an excellent caliber, as is the 257 Weatherby , it has worked very well for me on Coues hunts

However if you are sure you are down to only deer and coyotes, then I agree with David, the Swede is another excellent caliber you might want to consider.

Also: The Sako Finnlight II in 243 or 25-06 would work for only deer and coyotes and the weight would be approx. 6.5 #

Whatever you end up getting--Enjoy your future hunts

Last edited:
If your state allows big game hunting with a .22 center fire, I‘d personally choose a the 77 TMK out of a .223 and never look back. If not, the 95 NBT out of a .243 is another option. The .257 and .308 would both be just fine. If you insist on one of those calibers and you like a svelte mountain rifle, get your hands on a Kimber Montana and see what you think.

I'm in love with .260 Rem., but I reload. The biggest advantage to the 6/6.5MM cartridges right now is the incredible bullet selection. I also love the .243, it's a killing machine

I’ve also noticed the 257 was available in short as well as long action. Any drawback to short action?
I handled a 700 Mountain ( late 90’s manufacture ) and really liked the slimness and lighter weight.
Your answer is in your original post. I've got a '90's manufacture Mountain Rifle. I've bought dozens of rifles since. It's such a great rifle. You'll not be sad about that decision.

This coming hunting season will be my 60th. I started hunting in my early teens. The season before last I was just done carrying a heavy 300 win mag for elk. Even my 30-06 which I bought 50 years ago became a burden, though I cannot ever imagine selling it.

I have great respect for the 6.5’s. I have a 6.5x55 and had a .260. I sold the 260 because the twist was not the best for heavy long bullets.

I had a 250-3000 Savage 99, loved it but would have preferred the 250 Savage which had the twist for heavier bullets.

I also had a .257 Roberts,,,,fine light rifle it was for deer. As hunting pressure started pushing more game animals into into thicker dark timber where I was living and hunting then. I went with heavier calibers, like the .338 and 35 Whelen. Both served well, but both were heavy rifles. Also had two .270’s. Great for open country and were ferocious killers up close in dark timber with 180 grain Barnes originals round nosed bullets.

I enjoyed the 7x57’s, and .280. The 7mm offers great qualities all around. I never had a 7mm-08 but always felt like it would serve well. The 7x57 is it’s ballistic equal and served so very well on endless wild boar in barley fields, some huge

I had a .243 but it has such acute ballistic limitations I sold it.. I literally watched a friend shoot a big wild boar with a.243 and the premium bullet bounced off the thick cartilaginous shoulder plate. I shot that same boar a few days later on his other side. My 280 went through the though shoulder plate easily and killed him dead. I could see where that previous little bullet had hit but not penetrated the other shoulder plate.

Why would any man hunt big game with a caliber recommended for women and children ? Also one co-designed to shoot varmints and woodchucks. It’s numbers of both velocity and energy are pretty dismal. To it’s merit if you lived in a place like Texas with small deer and lots of brush to limit long shots, it is a near perfect choice. That is where my friend grew up. I tried to dissuade him from using that caliber on our boar hunt but could not. He was used to shooting little boar in Texas.

He was totally under gunned for larger boar.

I have two "go to rifles" right now. A handy Sako Finn light carbine in .308. It has the heavy bullet twist. Ii is light and fast and offers great game field utility. I would think the same rifle in 7mm-08 would serve well,,,,better for longer shooting but poorer where heavier bullets were more ideal.

I also bought a Kimber Hunter in 280 AI with a 24 inch barrel.. At 5 ¾ pounds I forget I am carrying it. It a very efficient cartridge and is just a hair's breath less powerful than the 7mm Mag using far less powder and offering far less recoil and muzzle blast.

These last two rifles are the ones I will end my hunting career with. I do favor the Sako.

Mark V Backcountry 270 Weatherby --6.3 #

or

Vanguard Synthetic compact 7mm-08--6.5 #

IMHO the 270 Weatherby caliber is an excellent caliber, as is the 257 Weatherby , it has worked very well for me on Coues hunts

However if you are sure you are down to only deer and coyotes, then I agree with David, the Swede is another excellent caliber you might want to consider.

Also: The Sako Finnlight II in 243 or 25-06 would work for only deer and coyotes and the weight would be approx. 6.5 #

Whatever you end up getting--Enjoy your future hunts
April, these are all good suggestions but how did you forget what you recommended to me a couple years ago. I love the 257 Roberts Rugar #1 short, light, well built, and perfect for coyotes, deer, type animals. I still carry it in the scabbard

It might be worth a look Old man50, it works for me ;)

:) that would work and it might be something that he might want to consider Randi. I am glad it worked out for you, but I cannot take all the credit, dont forget your grandfather also liked the idea.

This also does not fit what the OP asked about, but I still like the Savage 99 250/3000 that has been in the family for a very long time and has taken countless deer and coyotes. If you can still find one in good condition that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, that would be another one to consider.

But in line with the question you ask in your opening post, I still like the 257 Weatherby in the Mark V Backcountry. Light, well build, will reach out if the need should arise or the Sako Finnlight in 243 or 25-06

but yes the Rugar 1 or Savage 99 would work for sure ;)

I could not agree more, take the 7mm-08 and run.

Lingering in my big game hunting experience is the shooting of truckloads of big wild boar. At reasonable ranges however, heavy long 7mm bullets performed as well as bigger guns at further range.

Also stored in my “think tank” is many years living and hunting in NW Wyoming Grizzley country,,,even hunting for antelope up in the high mountain meadows surrounded by aspens. They had the best diet and the meat was sweetish.

Truth is however bear spray has been proven so effective in any and all situations that when on my last hunt there, and was tracking a cow elk with grizz tracks on top of her fresh tracks,,,,I shouldered my rifle and kept the bear spray on my hands.

Bear spray first, gun second

Still, I did want a “real rifle” in my hands.

Mustangs Rule.

I’d be more worried about finding the rifle that carries how you want it to. Odds are pretty high it comes in .308, 7-08 or 6.5CM. Any of the three easily do what you want them to.

Some folks obviously cannot differentiate between bullet limitations and cartridge limitations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d be more worried about finding the rifle that carries how you want it to. Odds are pretty high it comes in .308, 7-08 or 6.5CM. Any of the three easily do what you want them to.

Some folks obviously cannot differentiate between bullet limitations and cartridge limitations.
I was going to say Kimber Montana but they dropped the 257 R. My son picked one up last fall. His elk died quite easily.

Much thanks to everyone that responded. Food for thought for sure.
So far I really liked the 700 Mountain as far as feel in the hands. The pencil barrel doesn’t bother me at all as it won’t heat up much for just a few shots. As long as the first one goes where it’s supposed to. I had a Model 7 ( early version with 18-1/2” barrel )
It was a joy to carry, but way too short to even think about off hand shots. 22” balances way better ( for me )
Another question is would I be better off holding out for a rifle already barreled in “ insert caliber “ or finding a used rifle and having it rebarreled ?
Never been that route.
In truth I think any of the choices between 257 and 308 would probably work. I didn’t know if any caliber was inherently more accurate than any other. A long time ago I had a 222 that was super accurate. Foolishly traded it for a 220 Swift. I’ve still got boot prints on the seat of my pants over that.
Good info guys ( and ladies ).
Whatever rifle I settle on will likely finish me out. Just getting too old to pack as much weight or climb as high of a hill. I’ve had a great hunting life and wouldn’t change any of it. Except maybe go more when you’re younger.
Still love the outdoors and what it has to offer. For as long as the good Lord lets me.

If you go with a M700 Mountain, I wouldn't argue a bit. I have one and love it. It's light and balances well.

As to your question of new or used, I wouldn't hesitate to go either route. I'd base my decision on cost and availability.

If you can find a 700 mountain in 243 or 260 I’d buy it and go kill stuff. If not pickup a used SA and order a mountain rifle contour barrel from whoever you prefer. Make it an 8 twist for either 243 or 260 and go kill stuff!

Back