Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Caliber Advise

I have 5 rifles I collected since a kid, and usually only hunt with a 25'06 or 30-06. I would think a 7mm mag or 30-06 would give you a good range of bullet selection. Either one will take game at far distances and average bullets weights from 120-180 gr. The cost of ammo for the 338 is about 2.5x that of a 7mm or 30-06 and better for your hearing.

Wow, this is great. I hadn't even considered the .270 would work. No more rifle research. I'm on my way to Ontario this fall and now it looks like with that $700 I'll be in Montana chasing black bears. Thanks guys.

I lost the best hunting partner you could ever hope to hunt with 2 yrs ago. He shot more elk with his old pre 64 model 70 in a .270 than you could fit in a box car. We spread his ashes in a mountain meadow down from our camp at his request. He asked to have 2 things up there that day - his old mountain pony, and his .270. They were both there.

I'll never forget one of the younger guys years back bragging about his new whizz bang magnum. My hunting partner stirred the fire and said "never seen a critter killed with a caliber, but seen couple hundred killed with a bullet. Use a good quality bullet appropriate for the game and you don't need them big bellering calibers".

I lost the best hunting partner you could ever hope to hunt with 2 yrs ago. He shot more elk with his old pre 64 model 70 in a .270 than you could fit in a box car. We spread his ashes in a mountain meadow down from our camp at his request. He asked to have 2 things up there that day - his old mountain pony, and his .270. They were both there.

I'll never forget one of the younger guys years back bragging about his new whizz bang magnum. My hunting partner stirred the fire and said "never seen a critter killed with a caliber, but seen couple hundred killed with a bullet. Use a good quality bullet appropriate for the game and you don't need them big bellering calibers".

Cowboy, I'm sorry for your loss. Your hunting partner sounds like a heck of a guy and a heck of a hunter. Thanks for helping me out.

a .270 is very capable with good shot placement,,,and 270s arnt bad for recoil so shot accuracy could be better than with a "big" gun.very long distance you might want more but i wouldnt hesitate at 300 yrds or less.400 yrds is still decent even.

Give me a .270 and a box of Barnes TSXs and I'll hunt anything that walks in North America without thinking twice.

I've been shooting the same Mathews bow for 10 years. A couple of years ago I got all dreamy eyed looking at the super fast sexy models. Then, I figured the money I was going to spend on that bow would pay for my whole trip to Montana to hunt elk and deer.

I still have my 10 year old Mathews.

Maybe consider spending that $700 that's burning a hole in your pocket on some upgraded optics..and maybe a little reading material on ballistics and reloading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nurek
Back