Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Caliber Advise

IsThisHeaven?

I have been looking all over this site and many other sites for information, and I have gotten a lot of good information on this subject/my issue. I currently own a .270. Its a great rifle that I've had since I was a kid (I'm 31 now). I did a Wyoming mule deer and antelope hunt on public land last year and I was successful for both. Of course I was hooked and I plan on trying to do as many hunts out of state as I can. I am currently saving money to buy a new rifle.

I understand these questions have been debated over and over on this site and many other sites, but I can't quite get to the bottom of which caliber or calibers I should be considering. And maybe its not possible to get an answer. I will probably never hunt coastal grizzlies or mainland grizzlies, but I at some point hope to hunt species that live in the same areas. My hunting group and I are talking about a moose hunt in alaska right now. I am also planning a bear hunt in Montana.

I do not reload. Price of gun and ammunition are a factor, but I am saving up and planning on having a budget of up to $700 or so for this rifle. Recoil is not of too much concern to me. The .270 is light to shoot, I have been shooting a 12 gauge with 3 1/2 shells since I was a kid and I am a bigger guy. I am considering calibers like 30.06, .300 win mag, up to .338 win mag. I also understand shot placement is the most important factor. Lets assume I am able to shoot all of the calibers in this range with the same degree of accuracy. Which calibers are suited for this scenario? If you can't answer that question, which caliber would you purchase if you were in shoes? Maybe I'm not able to get just one rifle, maybe I will need more than one, and I'm fine with that. Thanks for taking a look and this is a great site. There are tons of helpful folks here.

I like the 300WSM. ammo is usually pretty easy to find. Recoil is very manageable. For $700 bucks you have a lot of options. you'll get 10 different opinions on brands, my personal favorite is Browning. You could probably find an x-bolt for $700.

I have been looking all over this site and many other sites for information, and I have gotten a lot of good information on this subject/my issue. I currently own a .270. Its a great rifle that I've had since I was a kid (I'm 31 now). I did a Wyoming mule deer and antelope hunt on public land last year and I was successful for both. Of course I was hooked and I plan on trying to do as many hunts out of state as I can. I am currently saving money to buy a new rifle.

I understand these questions have been debated over and over on this site and many other sites, but I can't quite get to the bottom of which caliber or calibers I should be considering. And maybe its not possible to get an answer. I will probably never hunt coastal grizzlies or mainland grizzlies, but I at some point hope to hunt species that live in the same areas. My hunting group and I are talking about a moose hunt in alaska right now. I am also planning a bear hunt in Montana.

I do not reload. Price of gun and ammunition are a factor, but I am saving up and planning on having a budget of up to $700 or so for this rifle. Recoil is not of too much concern to me. The .270 is light to shoot, I have been shooting a 12 gauge with 3 1/2 shells since I was a kid and I am a bigger guy. I am considering calibers like 30.06, .300 win mag, up to .338 win mag. I also understand shot placement is the most important factor. Lets assume I am able to shoot all of the calibers in this range with the same degree of accuracy. Which calibers are suited for this scenario? If you can't answer that question, which caliber would you purchase if you were in shoes? Maybe I'm not able to get just one rifle, maybe I will need more than one, and I'm fine with that. Thanks for taking a look and this is a great site. There are tons of helpful folks here.

You're not gonna like my opinion,so remember you asked:D

Since you don't have the money just laying around, why not save up and buy some tags and gas and go hunting. That $700 will go a long way to paying for a good hunt. Guns are just a tool in my opinion and it sounds like what you have is acceptable to cover most big game in North America. Go hunting!

You're .270 will do everything you want it to do. If you want to get another rifle because you want to collect them then go for it, but it sounds as if you don't have a need nor the money laying around.

Spook is right, you have the rifle you need, use the money to go hunting.

But, if you really did want something different, or better accuracy for $700 I would just re-chamber your current rifle to a 30-06 and get a composite stock. It'll give you a touch more oomph, but more importantly you can get a match grade barrel, and all weather stock for $700 ($300 barrel, $250 cut, crown and chamber, $150 for a used B&C or similar stock).

Last edited:
I do like your opinion

You're not gonna like my opinion,so remember you asked:D

Since you don't have the money just laying around, why not save up and buy some tags and gas and go hunting. That $700 will go a long way to paying for a good hunt. Guns are just a tool in my opinion and it sounds like what you have is acceptable to cover most big game in North America. Go hunting!

Thanks for your opinion. I wanted to hear it. You would comfortable hunting moose in Alaska or black bear in Montana with a .270?

Thanks for your opinion. I wanted to hear it. You would comfortable hunting moose in Alaska or black bear in Montana with a .270?

Yes...the 6.5x55 Swede is a moose favorite for many European hunters so the 270 is quite capable. That being said, there is nothing wrong with a 300WSM. I agree $700 is a good chunk of a DYI hunt.

Black bear, you bet I would and have. A 270 would not be my first choice for moose.
I know guys that have a lot more and nicer rifles than I have and most of them are sitting in the safe while mine are getting drug around the country.

If you enjoy scrimping and saving to buy gear for a dream hunt that may never happen, than by all means go for it. I'm going hunting.

No tag,time off work and lack of money has stopped more hunts than being ''under gunned''a thousand time over.

I have two rifles, or I will again in about a week. I have a 257 weatherby and I had a 270 WSM. Next week I should be getting my 270 Wsm that was just re-chambered to a 300 WSM. I think those two rifles should cover just about anything I want to hunt. The re-chambering cost $500 and I did it because I was going to move to Alaska. My plans have changed but I still think the two will do anything I will ever need. Your 270 will work for anything you mentioned and a 30-06, 300 WM or 300WSM would all be great additions if you feel you want to buy a rifle. Both my rifles are Howa actions (weatherby vanguard) and they are both sub MOA.

I'd hunt moose, black bears, and even grizzly bears with a .270 all day long...and never give it a second thought.

Think heavier weight, controlled expansion bullets for the larger stuff like moose and grizzlies.

Thanks, I am familiar with Jack O'Connor and how he used a .270 on just about every type and size of animal (except when he used his .06). Not having to buy a new gun would be the best case scenario for me. I just didn't think it was a legitimate option.

The hunts I mentioned above are hunts that we have committed too and are actually planning, that is why I asked. These are real world situations and not possibilities and hypotheticals, which is why I want to make sure I prepared for what these hunts will bring. That is also why I asked you guys on this forum. Many of you have experience on these hunts in these areas.

This was not meant to be a which caliber is best thread, I've read many of those. I hadn't read anything similar to my situation so I thought I would ask

Do a google search on Jack OConnor.

Ditto, or just feel comfortable that the 270 with a good bullet will do exactly what you need and spend your time focusing on the hunt. You can waste a lot of time getting too deep into ballistic gack. Jack answered the question already, the question now should be where are the bucks and bulls I can put in front of the crosshairs.

Thanks, I am familiar with Jack O'Connor and how he used a .270 on just about every type and size of animal (except when he used his .06). Not having to buy a new gun would be the best case scenario for me. I just didn't think it was a legitimate option.

The hunts I mentioned above are hunts that we have committed too and are actually planning, that is why I asked. These are real world situations and not possibilities and hypotheticals, which is why I want to make sure I prepared for what these hunts will bring. That is also why I asked you guys on this forum. Many of you have experience on these hunts in these areas.

This was not meant to be a which caliber is best thread, I've read many of those. I hadn't read anything similar to my situation so I thought I would ask

Good deal, spend that money on quality rain gear, high end boots, a better sleep system,Etc. Good luck!

A lot of folks will beat on the .270. If you are comfortable with it and have some good glass on it these guys are steering you in the right direction. And yes, bullet selection can and will make a difference with larger game. And..... you can buy it off the shelf almost every where.

I agree with what has been said. Some of my friends call me a gear snob. However.....

I love fishing with my Sage Z-axis fly rod with a Lamson Litespeed 3 reel on it.....but do I catch more fish than I did with my Echo rod with a $80 Scientific Angler reel? No. It's all about the right bug at the right place at the right time. No fish cares what brand of rod was used.

I own a 2008 bow that was a top-of-the line bow then. Every time I touch one of the new bows I fall in LUST, but if I can hit an antelope at 55 yards exactly where I am aiming...then what's the point? For what it would cost to upgrade I bought a Utah and Wyoming deer tag this year as a NR.........

If you ask me, pictures of harvested animals and the experience that went with it is "worth more than a $1000" as they say.

Binos, Spotters, Boots, Sleeping Bags, Clothes that Wick, Backpacks, etc are used much more in a hunting season than rifles and bows are. If you have a reliable weapon that you are comfortable with then you are good to go. I killed 4 big game animals last year and other than packing the weapons around, I only used those weapons for a grand total of 1.5 minutes.

Done ranting......go kill more stuff and post em up for all to enjoy.....

Wow, this is great. I hadn't even considered the .270 would work. No more rifle research. I'm on my way to Ontario this fall and now it looks like with that $700 I'll be in Montana chasing black bears. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
I love my 270. That said, I love my 06. Unless you really want another rifle take your 700 and follow jr's advice. Go huntin'!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back