Cable cutter for Snares?

If it’s set legally? $0

Maybe it’s time we start looking at closing all bird hunting down December 1st in Montana and have snaring season start after that. Bird hunters have already been at it for 3 months. Might as well give the trapper 1 to maybe 1.5 months of good fur season. Then we can eliminate the conflict
The current proposal is to extend MT upland bird season in 2022 to the end of January (pheasants, hunts, sharptails, forest grouse).
You and other trappers can voice your input on this proposal by Jan 21 at:
https://fwp.mt.gov/aboutfwp/public-comment-opportunities/reg-proposals/ugb-turkey

Unless the trapper did something illegal or negligent, probably zero.
Negligent seems pretty subjective to me. The 1st time, Jess was snared well under 100 yds from a parking area, in a field where guys hunting birds unload their dogs nearly every day. Is that negligent? To me, unquestionably. Had she been hurt or killed, I don't want to think about what would have happened.

I used to trap a bit, but I really have no sympathy for that sort of thing. My support for trappers continues to slide for reasons like this.

The trapper best be careful.
The dog owner would have to prove things past legally set traps. It's not worked well yet. I think the Anti trappers would have been doing it if there was a valid suit. I think reasonable care is the wording. I'm not a judge or an attorney, but know a few.

Last edited:
The dog owner would have to prove things past legally set traps. It's not worked well yet. I think the Anti trappers would have been doing it if there was a valid suit. I think reasonable care is the wording. I'm not a judge or an attorney, but know a few.

Suppose if it was a toddler that got killed instead of a dog, the result would be different?

I'm not a judge, but if someone hurts my dog, my property, it will not end well.

Suppose if it was a toddler that got killed instead of a dog, the result would be different?

I'm not a judge, but if someone hurts my dog, my property, it will not end well.
Think about what your writing. Come on man. If a toddler is out there somewhere, and there's coyote traps, and the toddler finds himself into said trap that could catch his neck, I'd question whether the parents should be charged with a crime. Otherwise the trap wouldn't be legal, and yes that person that set such a trap, could be sued. In any normal place a "Toddler" would be there would not be a legal trap.

How the hell would a toddler end up so far away from their parents that they could get stuck in a snare? If that’s the case the parents should be held responsible for negligence.

Edit: Shoots beat me to it.

The MTA dog release kits, unless they have changed, are a kit with large zip ties meant to run through the eyes of a conibear/bodygripper to compress the springs. Carrying a short length of rope like 3-4’ with a loop big enough for your boot to fit through and the other end wrapped in tape so it can be quickly and easily fished through the trap spring ends will serve you better. I think anyone running dogs should have this on them and should practice it before hand.

Like I said, unless it’s changed the MTA kit is handy and light weight, but doesn’t include a cable cutter for snares.
Found these today in case anyone is curious.

Attachments

• 2AF6734E-7E89-4984-9EA7-C5D0FA145D48.jpeg
    2AF6734E-7E89-4984-9EA7-C5D0FA145D48.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • A60BD3EA-1BD8-4987-A881-F6F4E28C034F.jpeg
    A60BD3EA-1BD8-4987-A881-F6F4E28C034F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 3E794509-3705-4914-92F2-1DFD452A99C7.jpeg
    3E794509-3705-4914-92F2-1DFD452A99C7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • C48FC8F5-ADB2-4361-992E-E3284D5A9AAF.jpeg
    C48FC8F5-ADB2-4361-992E-E3284D5A9AAF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
The trapper best be careful.
There is actually case law on such things. And just because you won't like it doesn't mean it's not the law. Once your $4000 dog is in a trap, it's not your dog. It is now $4000 of property of the trapper.

I don't know any trapper that's going to push that unless pushed first. We don't care if you get your dog out of our traps. By all means if your dog gets in one of mine do what you need to do in order to get it out.

Almost every county has leash laws. The reason being you are responsible to keep your dog under control at all times. Allowing it to run around at any time you assume some risk. Either that dog running in front of a car, biting somebody, or killing somebody else's dog(Happens WAY more than dogs getting killed by traps). In the eye's of the law you best be careful with your pup.

There is actually case law on such things. And just because you won't like it doesn't mean it's not the law. Once your $4000 dog is in a trap, it's not your dog. It is now $4000 of property of the trapper.

I don't know any trapper that's going to push that unless pushed first. We don't care if you get your dog out of our traps. By all means if your dog gets in one of mine do what you need to do in order to get it out.

Almost every county has leash laws. The reason being you are responsible to keep your dog under control at all times. Allowing it to run around at any time you assume some risk. Either that dog running in front of a car, biting somebody, or killing somebody else's dog(Happens WAY more than dogs getting killed by traps). In the eye's of the law you best be careful with your pup.
This is not true in Montana. You don't own someone's dog just because you accidentally trapped it. I asked about the legality of removing pets from traps and a person can do it because it is "simply recovering their property."

I was looking into this because an anti-trapping group was saying it was illegal to remove pets from traps.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back