Caribou Gear Tarp

Cable cutter for Snares?

AlaskaHunter

Any recommendations for a pair of cable cutters that can cut snare wire?
Looking for less than a pound in weight, less than $70

How about Channellock 910 9" Cable/Wire Cutter with Compound Joint
---Made in USA
Hardened M2 alloy steel blade inserts
Cuts most wire rope, steel and stainless steel rod up to 5/32"
8:1 compound action for maximum cutting power with minimum effort

Or perhaps:
HIT Heavy Duty Cable Cutters
HIT Heavy Duty Cable Cutters have spring action handles for fast cutting and will handle cable up to 3/16". Excellent cable cutters at a very reasonable price.

Thanks in advance.

Watching this.

BTW, the Minnesota fur trappers association are giving out (free), dog trap release kits. I have ordered two. This was posted in the Upland Journal Forums, but i don't have a link handy. You might try googling it. I'm not sure it includes a cable cutter, and I think I should have one. I've had my dogs snared twice and just missed a leghold for beaver by an inch once too.

The MTA dog release kits, unless they have changed, are a kit with large zip ties meant to run through the eyes of a conibear/bodygripper to compress the springs. Carrying a short length of rope like 3-4’ with a loop big enough for your boot to fit through and the other end wrapped in tape so it can be quickly and easily fished through the trap spring ends will serve you better. I think anyone running dogs should have this on them and should practice it before hand.

Like I said, unless it’s changed the MTA kit is handy and light weight, but doesn’t include a cable cutter for snares.

The MTA dog release kits, unless they have changed, are a kit with large zip ties meant to run through the eyes of a conibear/bodygripper to compress the springs. Carrying a short length of rope like 3-4’ with a loop big enough for your boot to fit through and the other end wrapped in tape so it can be quickly and easily fished through the trap spring ends will serve you better. I think anyone running dogs should have this on them and should practice it before hand.

Like I said, unless it’s changed the MTA kit is handy and light weight, but doesn’t include a cable cutter for snares.
I need a conibear to practice with. I have nightmares over this.

I need a conibear to practice with. I have nightmares over this.
Go and buy a 160 or 220. Those springs require the most force due to the short springs. The longer springs on a 330 seem “softer” as there is more leverage. I can set 330’s by hand without the use of a setter but 160’s and 220’s get set with a tongs by me.

Then use than small investment to show and teach all your dog owning friends how to set and release the springs so everyone in your circles are familiar.

We use a wonderful little cable cutter to cut seals off rail cars at work. I’ll check on what those are and report back. Lightweight enough that if they end up in a cargo pocket all day, you don’t mind them at all.

Attachments

• D836C8B4-34B8-4F07-843F-7C15D7D70A7F.jpeg
    D836C8B4-34B8-4F07-843F-7C15D7D70A7F.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 33
  • 00497F73-8646-4447-A0AE-51CE5F195ABB.jpeg
    00497F73-8646-4447-A0AE-51CE5F195ABB.jpeg
    798.8 KB · Views: 32
I carry 8" cable cutters. (knock on wood) I have not, nor do I know anyone personally who has had to use them. That will never stop me from carrying them anyway.

I found the cutter I was talking about on Kaatz Bro Lures. $23 and I ordered a handful. Found them elsewhere for $30-35. Shipping is expensive so find something else on their site to justify the expense!

I think you're on the right track. Make certain the jaws are curved to hook the cable. Most actual cable cutters will have hooked jaws. Gearing will help quite a bit. Non geared takeva bit of muscle. I use a uline brand that work ok when I make snares. Call a mom and pop hardware store. Some still cut cable by hand if they do, see what they use. And you can try before you buy! BONUS.

Try to release before you cut. It's faster in a lot of cases and it saves my snare. You may know but other readers may not. So I'll show how. Your dog has some time even though it's caught. Calm it down and push it towards the anchor. That will relax the cable and loosten the loop around it's neck a little. Don't panic. Work the problem. Find the lock and rotate it as so.

20220113_093028.jpg

Or grab the anchor line (Usually attached to a tree) and place your thumb on the lock pull with your thumb and slide it down the anchor line.

20220113_093109.jpg

If you have to cut it because it's caught up in hair or kinked the anchor line cut in the loop NOT THE ANCHOR LINE! If you do that your dog will run away with the snare still on it's neck.

20220113_092958.jpg

Attachments

• 20220113_093028.jpg
    20220113_093028.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220113_092958.jpg
    20220113_092958.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Don't try to cut snare wire with your Leatherman! On my last hunt in Mozambique, we came across quite a few snare setups and I tried to cut some with my Leatherman and the snare wire was harder than the steel of my Leatherman cutter, which now has a few small notches in it

Once I found someone’s healthy, collared, good looking yellow lab dead in a trap. Made me sick.
My worst nightmare...I hunt pheasants solo and am going to a beeper collar that I can activate...I hunt dense hawthorn and cattails and it would be difficult to find a dog quickly if he does not bark while caught in a cable or conibear.

Alaska Fish and Game puts on a workshop every winter for dog owners and that help me
practice with leg holds, conibears, and snares.

Leatherman, bolt cutters do not cut rope wire or braided cable very quickly.
Here are ten that are designed to cut cable:
Cutters Designed For Wire Cable
Also here is a youtube video produced by ID Fish and Game on how to release dogs from traps.

My buddy’s lab got caught in a snare (with no breakaway, a lock that wouldn’t release, and no tag) hunting pheasants once. She was almost unconscious by the time we got the wire cut with a knife. I carry actual cable cutters now.

My buddy’s lab got caught in a snare (with no breakaway, a lock that wouldn’t release, and no tag) hunting pheasants once. She was almost unconscious by the time we got the wire cut with a knife. I carry actual cable cutters now.
What do you carry MTLabrador? And have you ever tried them on snare cable? Thanks a lot, this thread could save a life.

What do you carry MTLabrador? And have you ever tried them on snare cable? Thanks a lot, this thread could save a life.
Just a cheap pair of side cutters I got at the farm and ranch store, haven’t used them on an actual snare but they zip right through other braided wire.

Goodle snare and trapping supplies, then go to the sare building supplies. Most offer cable cutters at reasonable cost. It's how I bought mine. They do a fast job of cutting snare cable. Don't mnow thebrand or what company I purchased from as it has been 5-6 years ago.

Andrew McKean is working on an article related to dogs in snares. Not sure when it'll come out but it's going to be a good read.

I use those for trapping they work good

Back