Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

BUYING A NEW TOY ( .25-06 ) AND IN NEED OF HELP

JESSE

WELL I SHOOT A SAVAGE .222 AND WELL I HAVE NEVER GONE WRONG WITH IT AND HAVE NEVER LOST A DEER. I'AM THINKING OF BUYING A NEW RIFLE CHAMBERED IN .25-06 BUT I'AM NOT TO SURE OF ITS ABILITY. I'AM ALSO LOOKING AT A .30-06 WITWORTH BUT I DIDN'T WANT TO GO SO BIG.

CAN ANY ONE HELP ME.

Your joking right? You dont know if a 25-06 is good enough for deer after shooting a .222?

what kinda info do you need?

Delw

Jessie,

I have a Remington Sendaro in 25-06.
It's a little on the heavy side but makes up for it in Accuracy. It shoots fine groups and is tough on our whitetails which in Alabama are just #20 heavier on average than yours are. My log shows 43 Kills in 45 shots on Deer. The longest shot was a lazered 387 yards. I prefer the lighter weight bullets for mine.
Even though some folks have ahd good success on Elk with a 25 caliber In My Opinion,
If you ever intend to Elk hunt also, you should probably lean to a larger caliber/diameter = heavier bullet.

Have fun shopping:D
JB

PS: Delw has a point, I don't think anything in 22 caliber is legal for Deer in my area.

Jesse, you'll find the .25-06 to be a flat shooter and a fine round for deer. It ought to perform just as well as your .222 in ballistics and give you more downrange mojo. The .222 gives about 3300 fps with the 40 grainer and the .25-06 gives about 3400 with the 85 grainer, while shooting with an inch less drop at 300 yards. For the 115-120 grain rounds (which I would personally use for deer-sized game) you get around 3000 fps and about 7 inches of drop at 300 yards. Still plenty accurate for deer. Unless you're head shooting, in which case you're on your own! Are we helping any?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-07-2001 13:04: Message edited by: dgibson ]</font>

I Guide bear hunters each fall.Theres a woman from PA I have guided 6 times.She uses a 25/06.and has shot 6 bear with it Every one of them died within site of her.She also hunts deer with it and kills on average 5 deer a year between PA ME and TX

Ok, now we're talking my "favorite cartridge" of all time. I built mine off of a LH Rem. Action in 1984. I have killed in excess of 40 big game animals with it since then. Not quite sure just how many. I've taken animals from 10yds to over 700 yds with it, no problem. Yes, that's right over 700 yds, plenty of penetration and power to kill fine at that distance. I shoot a 115g Nosler Partition in mine. I rechambered it to 25-06 Ackley Improved a few years ago and gained about 300 fps, but the vast majority of game I've taken with it was while it was chambered for the 25-06 Rem. For instance, I took a large "record book" Bezoar Ibex with it over 600 yds "one shot kill". He was angeling away from me. My shot entered through the left hind quarter and penetrated the entire body. It exited the right shoulder and left a 2" exit hole. He never knew what hit him. I've had a "lot" of similar results that I could tell. Nearly everyone I know and hunt with have switched to using 25-06s for most of their hunting and have similar results with that particular bullet.
BUY THE RIFLE!

Gilamonster I have no doubt your rifle is capable of such long range shooting. It's something that fasinates me. Anyway how high did you have to hold the crosshairs to make that 600 and 700 yard shot?

Not that much drop. The load I used on my 25-06 was IMR 7828 behind the Nosler 115g Partition. You'll find that it gives you the highest muzzle velocity and has given the best accuracy in the eight to ten rifles that I've tested. You should have no problem getting 3100 to 3150 fps from yours with the 115g Nosler. I sight mine in at +2.5 inches at 100 yds. Point blank is 386yds. That's -4. inches. 600 yds is -21 inches. 700 yds is -31 inches. The chest of an average buck is 18 inches, so halv a body over to a full body over will take him out at that distance, always with no problem. Have made a lot of one shot kills in that distance range. I have rechambered mine to 25-06 Ackley Improved now and it's a little flatter than that. I've added a page on the 25-06 Ackley Improved in my site. I plan on adding loading data, but haven't gotten that far with the page yet. Give me a week or so.

I have 2 brand new 25-06 varmit guns..and one used one.. I loved the cal. on the range and p-dog/ shooting. In the 80's I wounded a huge muley with the one I shoot, and put it up never vowed to use them again.. It wasnt a bad shot either.. My problem was the bullet I used for this animal was the wrong one for the speed I was shooting(my problem not the guns)...Even though I would like to bring these others out of the gun safe and shoot them(with good bullets this time) I still remember what happened with the muley... I have a few friends that shoot elk and deer and even a black bear with them. and they are all one shot kills... One of these days I will try them again for deer and antelope(with better bullets of course)I like the ballistics of the 25-06...

Delw

My youngest son took his 25-06 to Quebec last year and took a Real Nice Quebec-Labrador Caribou Bull with his. He shoots my 115g Nosler Part. load also. One shot, and the bull dropped like he was hit by lightening at over 300 yds. He has also killed a Real Nice 6X6 Bull Elk with it. Again, one shot and down he went. Same 115g Nosler Partition load. I'm not suggesting that it's the cartrifge or load for Elk at all, just giving some of the results. I've taken some huge bodied Muleys at some awsome distances and they fell like rocks with these loads. Actually, I've never lost anything that I've shot with these. Never had to look too far for the critter.

Jesse,
I just came accross someone who has some brand new Sako 75 Hunter in 25-06. Sako's usually retails from $1000-1200, but these are being sold for $600. The add is placed in GunsAmerica.com . I don't know this guy but the add and price really caught my attention.

I don't know if you are familiar with Sakos but they arguably the most refined mass produce rifle available. They come ready to shoot-no alterations required. I have a 75 Hunter in a .300Wby that will shoot all factory at one inch, including Remingtons. With handloads it will do an astounding .50 to .25". If your interested let me know and I'll try and get you some more information. Good luck, Thai

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back