Caribou Gear Tarp

Buy once, cry once. Kifaru vs. Stone Glacier

I have no experience with Stone Glacier, but I own a Kifaru. It's hands down the best pack that I have ever seen. I bought a mystery ranch on clearance just to try out and ending up selling it. It was not in the same league as the kifaru in my opinion. I've done two or three pack in hunts with it and hauled out a deer in addition to my day hunt gear in one trip with it. I have zero complaints or issues.

My $.02:

They are both great companies and make great packs. Kifaru has never said they are "light" and especially not "ultra-light". They are focused on one thing: comfort of heavy loads. Stone Glacier markets themselves as "ultralight". So, if you are honest with yourself, are you willing to carry a heavier pack in hopes (or actuality) that you will fill it and need to carry a heavy load a long distance, or are you focusing on carrying a lighter pack that can carry a heavy load if needed?

Honestly, I think you'll be happy with either.

Good Luck!

At the end of the day, all of the high end backpacks are going to be a quality product, however, they can differ significantly in their approach. The fit is what is crucial however. just like a pair boots, what fits one person perfectly, might not fit another person as well. I have the luxury, living in CO, to have tried on many packs before buying the one that fit me best. That happened to be an EXO Mountain Gear. I also liked their more "minimalist" approach and light pack weight. What I usually suggest to guys doing this for the first time, is buy a nice pack, but dont buy the top-of-the-line, as you dont really know how you'll like it, what features you really will use in the real world, etc. etc. Go to an REI and try on as many packs as you can with weight. Get properly fitted and know how to wear the pack. Even if you dont buy one from REI, just doing this you will gain alot of knowledge on what types of packs fit your body style, what size you are looking for, belt style that is most comfy, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back