Caribou Gear

butchering elk

Its not difficult. Make sure its the last thing you do so you can have the animal on its side completely. You will have good access that way.

Horizontal cut along the spine and then run your hand in between the tenderloin and the spine. It will break free. You may need to cut at each end just so you don't tear it and leave meat behind.

Its a great method and you will likely never go back to days of old.

...quit overthinkin', you're missing out on some tasty cuts..;)

My wife likes liver, but I cannot stand it. The heart, however, is a different deal. I like hearts from wild game far better than beef heart.

My wife boils them with spices. They are then sliced for sammiches. On my moose hunt last year, our cook stuffed some moose heart and baked it. Oh my God! It was fantastic.

I really don't remember it all, but I believe it was almost like a Thanksgiving stuffing. You could probably use whatever you want, as the meat is fantastic anyway.

Might have to try something. Hopefully three weeks from tomorrow!

Depends on if I'm using one horse or two. 1 horse can handle a 5pt or smaller bull, if I bone it out. We're usually not too far from the trailhead, but downhill enough that I don't want to ignore getting the ponies involved.

Never killed an elk. But I have been doing my whitetails same way for years. Tenderloins come right out. Just reach in with your hand (from the back just below the ribs)and feel the whole muscle. Then cut at bottom and top and pull it out. Seems like it would be easier on an elk 'cuz the hard part on a deer is fitting your hand and knife up to the very tip of the loin and not losing any. I still get all the quarters, all the straps, 98% of the loins and never mess with guts.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back