Burris Fullfield

WVmike

I'm getting my son his first deer rifle in .243 this year and I'm looking to get him a decent scope all along with keeping in mind that this is his first rifle and he is still learning how to hunt, shoot, etc. I've been looking at the Burris Fullfield 3-9x40. Most of the reviews I've read seem to be in favor of it. I was initially going to get him a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x40 but I may just get him the Burris since it's a bit cheaper and sometimes the Leupolds are out stock and I try to order from Leupold's site since I get the military discount. Anyone used a Burris Fullfield or Burris in general?

I’ve got a Burris RT15 I wouldn’t hesitate getting a second one of …

If they only had a sunshade available for it.

Same for the RT25.

Only complaint I have of them.

Poor image…

But this is the RT15 at 15X.
8055A54A-114F-4FF5-BFD9-B762F2E3E23D.jpeg

Compared to a vortex Diamondback tactical at 24X

To me, the purple haze from chromatic aberration is bad IRL.
EBEE2D76-838D-4D9D-8799-6A354C911A2D.jpeg

In my experience the old ones were good, the new ones are not bad for what they are. Nothing fancy but I'd take one over a Vortex for a budget deer rifle

I put a Full Field II 4.5-14x40 on a AB3 in 300 Winchester mag.
Just shooting, so far I’m happy. Not going to sell all my Leupolds, but it’s a solid scope for a budget rifle.

In my experience the old ones were good, the new ones are not bad for what they are. Nothing fancy but I'd take one over a Vortex for a budget deer rifle
That's what I've read. I have a vortex 1-4 on an ar I built and the eye relief is a bit off especially when it's at 4. I want to get him something we can zero and keep zero not shoot with once and send it back.

I put a Full Field II 4.5-14x40 on a AB3 in 300 Winchester mag.
Just shooting, so far I’m happy. Not going to sell all my Leupolds, but it’s a solid scope for a budget rifle.
Have you used any of the new VX3 from Leupold? I'm looking to get one for my 7 mag.

We have one on a Henry 22 mag. It’s really good. I bought it second hand from a gentleman on this site

Attachments

• 9C057E28-4291-47E6-AEB7-A60DD6B530DC.jpeg
    9C057E28-4291-47E6-AEB7-A60DD6B530DC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
They're ok scopes. IMO, if you're going to spend $150, spend a little more. The idea that it's just for learning or he's young etc... isn't a good one. Quality will gold its value and can be swapped to a new rifle later if you choose. Shop for a used Lupold if want to save a bit. I pick up a lot of used scopes for $250 or less. Most retail for nearly 2x that, and are in great shape.

They're ok scopes. IMO, if you're going to spend $150, spend a little more. The idea that it's just for learning or he's young etc... isn't a good one. Quality will gold its value and can be swapped to a new rifle later if you choose. Shop for a used Lupold if want to save a bit. I pick up a lot of used scopes for $250 or less. Most retail for nearly 2x that, and are in great shape.
I agree with this. If I had it to do over again, the 2 cheaper Fullfields that I bought as a kid would be something a bit nicer. But they will get the job done

I have been between the Burris and Leupold. Sometimes they are out of stock though that is my only dilemma. If I could, just like anyone else on here I'm sure, I'd buy him a nice leupold or trijicon and have at it. I know that I don't want some junk for him or anyone for that matter. I had a junk bushnell scope when I started out and absolutely hated that thing. Riflescopes along with a lot of other things are preference. I don't have experience with either brands but I'm in the process of switching my optics over to Leupold since I have looked through different scopes of theirs and compared to other brands. My experiences with quality optics were in the military with Trijicon, Elcan, Nightforce and EoTech. It's hard to compare some of the brands that someone can actually afford without saving for months or years to purchase.

Last edited:
I’m looking at putting a junk Simmons back onto the Remington until I get something better than this vortex it was supposed to replaced by.

I have been between the Burris and Leupold. Sometimes they are out of stock though that is my only dilemma. If I could, just like anyone else on here I'm sure, I'd buy him a nice leupold or trijicon and have at it. I know that I don't want some junk for him or anyone for that matter. I had a junk bushnell scope when I started out and absolutely hated that thing. Riflescopes along with a lot of other things are preference. I don't have experience with either brands but I'm in the process of switching my optics over to Leupold since I have looked through different scopes of theirs and compared to other brands. My experiences with quality optics were in the military with Trijicon, Elcan, Nightforce and EoTech. It's hard to compare some of the brands that someone can actually afford without saving for months or years to purchase.
I had a Fullfield and recently installed a VX-Freedom on a rifle for a friend's son. In my opinion, the VX-Freedom glass is much clearer and sharper than the Burris. For what it's worth, I say get the Leupold.

I bought one of the Burris Fullfield IV 4.5-14X40 with the E1 reticle for a Ruger 77 MKII in 280 Rem.

Liked it well enough i bought one of the Fullfield IV with the "long range" MOA reticle for the Browning A Bolt in 25 WSSM.

Bought a second Fullfield IV long range for my 25-06 i recently bought.

Now i'm thinking about yet another for the new Weatherby Mark V Weathermark LT in 7mm Weatherby Magnum i just brought home yesterday.

I have an FFII 3x9 Ballistic plex Duplex on each of my boys 7mm-08 rifles. One on an AR, and a couple 4.5-14's with the E1 Reticle on 2 of my rimfire rifles. I have had no issues with them and would recommend them but I would start a new shooter with a straight duplex or the cleaner Ballistic plex (Not E1) reticle as to not clutter the sight picture and confuse them.

I also have Leupolds and would go with one of those. The extra $ will be worth it. Midway was the CDS version in stock now.

I have an FFII 3x9 Ballistic plex Duplex on each of my boys 7mm-08 rifles. One on an AR, and a couple 4.5-14's with the E1 Reticle on 2 of my rimfire rifles. I have had no issues with them and would recommend them but I would start a new shooter with a straight duplex or the cleaner Ballistic plex (Not E1) reticle as to not clutter the sight picture and confuse them.

I also have Leupolds and would go with one of those. The extra $ will be worth it. Midway was the CDS version in stock now.
I don't want a busy reticle especially for him just starting out. I personally don't like them myself unless they have markings for just windage.

My BIL bought a Burris Fullfield IV 2-10x 42 with Ballistic E3 illuminated reticle. I would rate the glass as just fair, but it holds zero on his 870 Express 12 ga. with slug barrel. Cost him around $200, he likes it.

Last edited:
I looked at the Leupold freedom and Burris Fullfield IV side by side and thought the Leupold had better glass, but they only had the 3-9 in stock. I went with the Burris IV 4.5-14 and have been pretty pleased with it, eye relief is tight but pretty good glass for the price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back