Caribou Gear

Bull Elk photo!!

Elkmaster

My 4th P&Y Bull taken on public land in Montana Sept 2003!!
faacf92d.jpg

Here's the story; The lady next to me is my wife Glenda,,she makes it all possible. We spent 47 days camped out chasing Elk this year. We hunt public land in No Central Montana. The elevation is tame,,only 2800 ft at the highest. It is very open country, most the hunting is ambush. We were watching a known bedding area trying to catch them coming in to bed. Had this nice bull and 8 cows coming and we set up in a drainage just below the pines where they bed. As usual, the herd turned about 150 yards before they got to us,,,except for one unruly cow,,,she kept coming right in front of us. I had time to range her so I knew the exact distance. She must have been 'hot' because the bull left the other cows and ran right over to her and stuck his nose in her butt,,,,,done deal. I hit him perfect,,,,double lung and pass-thru. He went about 100 yards and died on the run. Chock one up for unruly cows!!! Man I like hunting the rut!! I've been hunting this area for 10 years now,,I've shot 9 bulls,,,,,,eight 6x6's and this 6x7,,,,,,four of them are in P&Y. My biggest secret is that I get to spend a lot of time out there,,,5 or 6 weeks each season. And I'm lucky to have a wonderful wife that loves it as much as me!

Back