Building recreational cabins

Akcabin

Building our remote cabin has been extremely rewarding for. And particularly happy about the amount of time it required. Forcing me to get out when I could no matter things like 30 below traveling on snogos in snow up to your head. A kazillion bugs in the summer. Make a better woodsman out of me for sure.
We were able to work within or public trails system when using equipment but being broken n stuck was the name of the game while building. It will happen.
Probably the most important thing I've learned is confidence. You can read n watch all you want on the net but it will be different. And finding folks who can help on weekends or be able to stay extended stays isn't common as I thought. That's cool. I enjoy being out alone. Because I spend time there. I hope this helps inspire others to get out n take a chance. It has been so rewarding to be able spend my time out of doors. Remember, when you can. Take one make oneB85228D3-6989-4DA2-87B3-F5F16B44039F.jpeg992C20BA-5FE2-42F2-92F7-73EDE3B6D036.jpeg2C9CF3B6-F34E-4E96-87B4-CCA17BC1BB18.jpeg27B9E48C-44DE-41BB-93F7-EE9B9ABE820A.jpeg4AACA1C4-E528-412F-B948-A7C06B4EEF23.jpeg9FC3BB07-74EE-4510-A880-FE4681E72857.jpegB85228D3-6989-4DA2-87B3-F5F16B44039F.jpeg992C20BA-5FE2-42F2-92F7-73EDE3B6D036.jpeg2C9CF3B6-F34E-4E96-87B4-CCA17BC1BB18.jpeg27B9E48C-44DE-41BB-93F7-EE9B9ABE820A.jpeg4AACA1C4-E528-412F-B948-A7C06B4EEF23.jpeg9FC3BB07-74EE-4510-A880-FE4681E72857.jpeg20210411_112002.jpg20210411_111804.jpg20210411_111835.jpg

Last edited:
That’s so cool! How far are you from the nearest town? What would you do different if you did it all over again?

Curious about the log piers holding up the cabin. Are they bearing on anything, and have they been treated to prevent rot?
Nice project...

Hey thanks for the atta boys. Just something I did though. I used treaded utility poles for my foundation set in with concrete. On 6' centers. 3 rows wide.
We are near 8 miles off the road then it's another 55 miles to home then 20 miles to town. I kinda like to think of it like this. Cell reception at the cabin is poor. But you can go out by the lake n get phone. So just right. But mostly I just go out by myself n leave the phone in the cabin. So no to poor connection to the outside world. Located in south central.
What seems to surprise me is that building a cabin for hunting n trapping n just getting out isn't done much anymore. For me it's just something I kinda needed to do that came naturally.
If you do things do them the best you can

Hey thanks for the atta boys. Just something I did though. I used treaded utility poles for my foundation set in with concrete. On 6' centers. 3 rows wide.
We are near 8 miles off the road then it's another 55 miles to home then 20 miles to town. I kinda like to think of it like this. Cell reception at the cabin is poor. But you can go out by the lake n get phone. So just right. But mostly I just go out by myself n leave the phone in the cabin. So no to poor connection to the outside world. Located in south central.
What seems to surprise me is that building a cabin for hunting n trapping n just getting out isn't done much anymore. For me it's just something I kinda needed to do that came naturally.
If you do things do them the best you can
Do you have bear issues there? Things seem close to the ground.

@Akcabin this might be a not so bright question, but I am assuming that you guys bought the piece of land that the cabin sits on and access is through the trails and paths that run over public land? Sorry - just a foreign concept to wrap my head around that much open space and land.

I built a “cabin” on some land we bought up in the mountains so I’m with you on the reward in satisfaction and pride. However mine is nowhere near yours. Yours is awesome and mine is more of a shed. Really nice looking cabin you have there. Awesome.

I staked 20 acres of state land in a recreational land lottery the state has. Then bought the land from the state. Really nice because the lake we use in the summer for access when we need to fly in is also on state land with no cabins. Just a couple cabins north about a mile n half.
And yes, it is nice to be in the middle of millions of wide open wild Alaska bush.
For access. In the summer we charter a 185 Cessna on floats to a lake. There are trails for winter use that we snogos to access n get around on.
We do have a couple wheelers I freighted out. And when we use them we tread lightly. I don't enjoy seeing the tundra torn up .
Yes we have bears. I wanted to use logs in particular to build with as a grizzly bear can peel open a stick frame cabin easier. And we like the look better. I built it so the windows are 7' up so the bears couldn't reach them as easily. So the floors are 4' off the ground. Also need it this tall so we don't have to dig down through the snow to get in the door. It's not unusual to have the snow 4' deep settled on the ground.
My largest driver in building this cabin was spending time together with my family there. We've yet to spend Christmas at the cabin. But the Easter weekend spend relaxing n target shooting from the front deck was fantastic. Just me n my beautiful wife made it even better

I just had this memory cross my mind. My beautiful wife n me went out for a few days. But the temperatures dropped to minus 25-30 degrees out so we had to hole up for another week or so.
Poor me huh, stranded with my beautiful wife in a remote cabin.
Kinda feel like the most blessed man in the world

Back