Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Building points for first season rifle in Colorado, which unit?

okie_hotrod

This next year I plan to start building points in Colorado for a first rifle season elk hunt. I plan to hunt OTC in Utah until I'm able to draw but I'm curious as to what unit to apply for that would give me the best odds of drawing every 2 or 3 years but still have a chance of killing a good bull. Colorado is closer to where I live but Utah tags are less expensive plus I have contacts there to help me with scouting and locating elk since I'm new to elk hunting. Any help would be much appreciated.

What do you consider a "good bull" and how hard are you willing to hunt/ what's your style of hunting. There are plenty of OTC or units that require 0pts for first rifle where you could kill a six point every year if you were willing pack in far and hunt hell holes.

I wouldn’t build too many elk points in CO as a nonresident. You won’t live long enough to catch up to the point creep and actually draw a tag in the highly-regarded units. And there are many units that you can draw for 0-3 points and have a fun, enjoyable elk hunt. Check out the “Hunting Statistics” page on the CPW website and check out the harvest success for the first-season hunts. Plenty of good options for units requiring 0-3 points.

Sorry,but I doubt anyone will name units for you on here.Go on the states website,and narrow down what units take 2-3pts for 1st rifle.Then look at public land access,harvest stats and elk populations.Once you pick a few units,call biologists or local warden and ask them about the unit your interested in.You'll get alot of satisfaction figuring it out yourself.

When is it time to apply for CO elk points? I haven't done it yet but I got invited to go hunt with a friend that moved there this year.

Before the 1st Tuesday in April. Regulation Brochures and applications are typically out mid to late Feb. Sometimes early March depending on their mailings. I'd start checking online mid Feb.

I'd be beyond happy with a 300 inch bull but honestly I just want a mature animal. I'm not afraid to go as far as I need to in order to find elk but I can't speak for my hunting partners be that my dad or my boys, though I'll have to wait a few years for them. My main goal is just to get in a unit with less pressure and hopefully catch the tail end of the rut. I haven't hunted out west yet seeing as both time and money ran out for me to go this year but I want to make it something I do on a biannual if not annual basis. The wife doesn't come from hunting family and all she seems to understand is that the cost doesn't justify the return (her dad is an accountant). That being said, anything I can do to increase my odds of filling a tag means the more trips I can take.

I also don't expect anyone to give away their honey hole but I'm also not familiar with which units are considered "trophy units" in Colorado where I'm more familiar with those units in other states, and how long it would take for me to draw. Thanks for the tips and I'll be sure to do some looking for myself, just hoping for a jumping off point.

Colorado is interesting in that it is kind of an 'all or nothing' state for elk. The true trophy units take upwards of 20 points to draw, but most units can be drawn with less than 5 points. There seems to be a no mans land where there are very few hunts that are in between. It's hard to say what unit. Do some research and pick one and then get to know that area over the years. The nice thing is you can most likely hunt that unit every year (maybe not first season, but most likely on a 2nd or 3rd season tag).

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back