Caribou Gear Tarp

Bugling in the Gila

PackInLight

Hey folks - have a first season archery tag in the gila. Sept 1-14. I’ve got 7 days of PTO. Question is - do I go early and take advantage of undisturbed elk, or late and hope to catch more bugling. Anyone with experience down there have thoughts/advice on that? Thanks!!!

I’m going when the weather is cooler in the hopes elk are more active. There are different schools of thought in this; choose what will benefit your style of hunting the best.

Go look at Corey's write-up for this year. Also check out Randy's videos on the pre-rut. Very interesting stuff! We have had a very wet year so far. Not sure what the Monsoons will bring. I am new to Elk hunting. My tag is first rifle on the 12-17 Oct.

I will be there 9/1. It varies every year as to what to expect when depending on what canyon you're in etc, there are just so many variables. As long as you're willing to adapt strategies and move I think either will be fine.

I’ve had dang good hunts the first week and dang good hunts the 2nd week. There won’t be much difference at all from a temp standpoint. It’s Sept in southern NM...it’s still going to be warm. I had 50° swings on some days of my hunt last year.

Take the 7 PTO and then take another 9 not paid, too good of a tag to not be there for entire time.

RLTW
I agree, start early and stay as long as needed. Whooping cough is easy to catch that time of year in NM :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back