Buck with mass

EliAGrimmett

This is actually a photo of Randy's buck that I took in late August. So, there's no guessing anymore with this one - it definitely has HUGE MASS! I believe the other buck in the photo was taken as well and scored low 80's.

RandysBuck_72ppi.jpg

Eli,

I see that you have a special interest in pronghorn. Over the last few years these animals have been on the top of my list. Of the three pronghorn in the pics could you tell me in what order they would go and why...help a rookie out here. They all look like incredible bucks with the exception of the young buck on the far side.

If you're talking about the 3 mature bucks in just the above photo then the trophy size order would go from screen right to screen left.

The buck on screen right was taken by Randy and green scored just over 89 inches I believe. He then decided to put it in the oven for 60 straight days and melted it down to make some sort of jewelry with it. JK - the buck did shrink quite a bit though during it's 60 day drying period.

The middle buck was also taken by a hunter on that ranch and I was told by the rancher that it scored around 82-83.

The third buck isn't much from the side view (which you can't tell from this pic).

From this photo it's difficult to distinguish Randy's buck as being an upper 80's type of buck, but the buck's mass is unbelievable! I never did get better photos than this.

The buck on screen right was taken by Randy and green scored just over 89 inches I believe. He then decided to put it in the oven for 60 straight days and melted it down to make some sort of jewelry with it. JK - the buck did shrink quite a bit though during it's 60 day drying period.

Hey now. I gave those horns to Greenie, when I was on the road in CO, KA, and IA. He was the one who put it in the oven. He even took a pic of it on top of his heater.

Well, maybe leaving it in my shop for 75 days was not that smart. But, the damn thing was stinking so bad, the wife said the antelope horns go, or I go. So, I put it out in my nice arid and warm shop. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone wanting to preserve the size of their antelope for B&C scoring purposes. I would say live and learn, but I will never find another one that size to apply this "learned" knowledge on.

That is a cool pic. Can wait to show him on TV, come July 17th and 19th. He will be the star of the show.

How much did the buck actually lose during the drying process Fin?

How much did the buck actually lose during the drying process Fin?

We had him at 88 6/8 the morning after. I am not the best at measuring, so some of that could be wrong. But, following the score sheet, I was only off my about a 1/8 inch on most every measurement. That could be my measuring, or drying.

He officially grossed 86 3/8 and netted 85 2/8.

His circumference measurements only shrunk 1/8, at every location, except for the bases. The bases each shrunk 5/8. Ouch.

The right prong actually grew by 1/4, so I am thinking that was probably a "Fin" mistake.

One horn shrunk by 3/8 and one by 1/4. Again, some of that could be me.

The bases are the killer. They look like someone put a hose clamp around them. Everyone told me that a massive buck would shrink a lot, but I still don't know what you can do about it.

Just have to shoot a bigger one with my bow, come August.

You add that up, and things

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back