Yeti GOBOX Collection

Browning Gran/Feather/White Lightning

NDGuy

I am looking pretty hard at the Feather Lightning in 16ga.

This will solely be used for hunting upland, no trap. Does anyone have a newer Feather Lightning, White Lightning or Gran Lightning in 16 or 20ga?

What are everyone's thoughts and experiences so far? Thanks everyone!

@NDGuy Give you a smidge of history on O/U that I have had. I had a Browning Citori Satin Hunter and then a little after that bought a feather lightning. This was in a 12, but I think the same thing would hold true. The feather was much worse recoil wise than the normal O/U. I currently have the CXS Citori in a 20 and absolutely love it. Recoil is not bad at all. Purchased a Cynergy 12 gauge wicked wing in bottomland a the same time as the CXS and loved the 20, so I never shot the Cynergy, and it is up for sale on HT in For Sale section. The long and short of what I am trying to say is I would go with the normal if you are using it for upland. I would not do the lighter weight ones. That is totally just my opinion though. The lightnings are beautiful guns, but if all upland, the normal gun would be my advice.
No matter what you decide, you will love the Browning O/U. I sure do!!

I would try to find a place that you can demo the gun or one similar to what you are looking to buy.

The feather will not be a joy to shoot any amount, if it's for upland only, no big deal. If I was looking for a light carry around gun I'd personally go with a 20 gauge gas operated semi. Same weight as the feather, but less recoil.
Agree with WNC above, I have the CXS in 20 with 30" barrels and love it for field and clays.

I carry this old Browning A-5 hunting pheasants almost every day for six weeks every fall. It's heavy but I'm 6'1" and 195 lbs and soon will be seventy years. Not a problem. Light guns don't point well, not for me anyway. Besides inducing flinch they are whippy. The old A-5 isn't pretty but it sure kills birds. Floats on target beautifully and no noticable recoil, even shooting 3" goose loads. I also shoot it at the range at least two nights a week. I have a Citori but don't shoot it much and certainly won't drag that pretty gun around through brush, rain, and snow. It has a slightly shorter and much thicker stock. I can shoot it well enough high gun trap but hopeless for low gun skeet and clays. High gun I can make myself fit any shotgun for a decent score. Low gun or field shooting the gun must fit perfectly. Muzzle jump and recoil are much more noticable with Citori vs A-5.20211031_162235.jpgCitori case 1.JPG

I dove and duck hunt with a 12ga citori feather, last 12 years. Prior tools were my 11-87 premier and before that my 870 pump. The 11-87 made me lazy. With the feather, if the birds are flying I'm usually cooking breakfast as the first one out.

Randy Wakeman recently did a review of the Browning 725 Feather in 20 gauge. He seemed impressed with it.

Personally I would go with a 20 gauge over the 16. there's just so much more factory ammo support for the 20. I personally own 4 20 gauge doubles, two over/under and two sxs. I think it's hard to beat a good 20 gauge double for upland hunting. Browning doubles are great guns. The steel receiver models are a bit heavier than say a comparable Beretta but they are good. IMO you need to ask yourself what you plan to do most with the gun. If you principally plan on doing upland and not much else then the Feather would probably be a good choice. But if you plan on shooting clays regularly or running heavier loads then you might want to think about a steel framed gun. The Feather has an aluminum receiver with steel inserts at wear points. They are durable but nowhere near as durable as the steel framed guns. If you look around you can get some information on some wear issues with aluminum framed doubles with guns that are shot frequently. Most steel framed doubles in 20 gauge will come in at less than 7 lbs and most people seem to be happy with the balance of weight versus swingability. Most of mine are around 6.5-6.8 lbs with one being less than 6 with a steel receiver. that ones but heavy though. the Feather might drop that down to near 6 lbs. Another option for a truly lightweight durable 20 is the Benelli Montefeltro. My 20 gauge model with 26 inch barrel weighs less than 6lbs. It's not a double but it's light and swings good. Just a thought. Ultimately, shooter fit and balance are critical so go to a store and handle before you buy. I will also say that most manufacturers of shotguns seem to underestimate the weight of their field guns by at least a half pound if not more. I have yet to find a field shotgun that weighs what they say it should. Good Luck.

I have a 725 Feather 12 gauge and it’s excellent. Recoil is nothing to be concerned about unless you shoot very heavy loads for everything or you are an exceptionally weak and sensitive individual. It balances and swings great.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back