broadheads

dgc1963

wondering if any of you guys use the higher end broad heads ,solid,German kenetics ,Iron will ?
Ive never had an issue with the one I use now but thinking of upgrading if it is an upgrade sure is in price
most broad heads work fine with a well tuned bow but after a pass through and hitting dirt and rocks are beat up pretty bad and I replace them. the more expensive ones are said to last much longer due to much heavier metal
leaning to solids even at $100 for 3, but also thinking if it aint broke

but also thinking if it aint broke
yep

This is such a tiny part of the effective kill equation I don't upgrade. As long as the tips are within 2g of each other and spin fine I don't care

Another way of looking at it, let's say they last longer than the $50 per 3 pack. But will they last x2 as long? If not, you might be better off buying 6 for $100 instead of 3

I liken it to the higher end turkey loads. It eventually becomes a matter of "how dead do you want your turkey?" rather than inferring a practical advantage

I switched from ViperTrick to Iron Will V100 last year. Only took a WT doe and bent the tip when it buried in the dirt. They replaced the blade, no question asked.
I will say this, the practice V100 is still crazy sharp after being shot into my Block close to 100 times.
The broadhead is the one thing that does the damage, why risk the hunt on a cheap head?
Don’t see me changing any time soon.

Solids got bought out a few years back and since then they are junk compared to the old ones. True German kinetics can be hard to find in the States but make a good head. And iron will are the best head imo as far as tough, precise heads. That being said more elk have been killed with three blade muzzys than probably any other head out there. You definitely don't need the higher end heads to kill game. To me the difference is they typically are made from better materials (don't bend/staying sharper through the animal and dirt), there was more thought put into the design, and they typically come with a lifetime warranty. That is one great thing about Magnus broadheads. They work darn good are typically 30-40 a pack and if you ever have a single problem with a head (even if it successfully harvested an animal) you can send it in for a new one.

I personally will run iron wills this fall on elk. Not because it's the only broadhead that will work but because I feel confident that it will do its job when the time comes and I'll be able to keep using the same broadhead for a while. For deer and antelope I'm throwing a 3 blade mechanical. So I would say if you feel confident in your current setup I'd run with it.

actually, more elk have been killed with flint knapped stone heads than probably any other head. :)
lmao yes that is true and I can over think things a bit guess thats why I dont change gear often and when I do I really check things out didnt know solids were bought out I can get the German ones over seas will look at them vs Iron will heads

I haven’t upgraded. Doubt I will. I really like my G5 Montecs. I have difficulty seeing them as much heavier metal in an accurate comparison. Sure the solids are heavier metal but they also weigh 100 grr more. That has a significant trade off for most hunters and bows. I’ve killed animals with WASP, Rage, Muzzy, and Montecs. I thought all of them were the best thing ever so I might change my tune if Santa beings me some this year.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back