Broadhead weight and type

Mossy-Back

I just got back into archery after not shooting for about 20 years. I’ve rifle hunted since then, but have never now hunted. I’m looking for advice on which broadhead to use. I’ve narrowed it down to VPA solid broadheads. This year I’ll be shooting a 40 pound recurve for deer, and next year I’m hoping to increase up to a 50 pound recurve for elk.

For my arrow setup I’m wanting a 200 or 250 grain head but can’t decide which weight and whether I should go with a 2 blade or 3 blade. Maximum shot distance would be 30 yards. Arrows are Easton XX75, 30” long with 25gr inserts, so total weight of about 400 grains without broadhead.

Any suggestions on which broadhead would be appreciated. I’d like something I can shoot for deer this year but also use for elk next year with a heavier draw bow.

For 40lbs a close shot and a 2 blade sharp broadhead are the typical recipe for success. VPA makes great heads and I would stick with the two blade over the three. I especially like the tanto tip design on them. If you place your shot correctly it'll do everything you need.
As for weight i would try getting a field point in 200 and 250 and see which one shoot better for you. They should both spine out fine on a low poundage setup but with a recurve judging distance is critical and finding an arrow weight you can reliably know the trajectory and place your shot is going to be key.
I would also take a very stronger look at cutthroat broadheads. I have a few buddies who use them and have had fantastic results. I don't buy the whole Ashby theory as far as single bevel blades but those heads flat out kill. But as always with low poundage a sharp blade that holds it's edge is key for taking care of business.

Thanks Ajax. I’ve been using 175 gr field points and my bareshaft tuning shows it just a bit too stiff, so I figured a 200 would weaken the spine enough. I’ll get some heavier points and test it out before buying broadheads.

I’d heard good reviews on the VPA 3 blades and that they leave better blood trails, but most people agree that a two blade will go through bone easier if you wind up on the shoulder. I also considered the Bone broadheads and will look at Cutthroat. I'm hunting western Oregon, so shots are usually very close. Even my rifle hunting shots have rarely been over 50 yards. The buck in my avatar pic was at about 40.

Yeah I would recommend a 3 blade if you bump up to 50lbs with that heavy arrow but for deer and 40lbs a 2 blade you should get a pass through as long as you don't hit heavy bone.
And there are companies that have field point test kits that run in 25 grain increments from 150-300grains. Which is great for what you are doing. I think ethics archery and possibly grizzlystik make some. Also just to throw it out there, the best part about a recurve and good quality 2 blades is you can stump shoot all you want and hunt small game and just sharpen them back up and throw em in the quiver for big game. No need for field points once you get your weight figured out.

I am shooting 200gr Iron will broadheads this year. I have heard and read good things about them.

I ordered a field point test pack, so I’ll check to see what weight does best in bare shaft testing. I’m probably going to go with the VPA two blade. I like the solid one piece design, chisel tip, and the double bevel should be easier to get sharp

I just got a set of Kayuga pilot cut broadheads. Theyre a 2 blade single bevel. If youre set on made in USA, go with one of your previous choices, as Kayugas are made in Australia.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back