Breeder recommendation for Wirehaired Pointing Griffon

Scott85

After about 2 years of research at looking into versatile hunting breed I have picked the WPG, now I am looking for a breeder. Pup must come health certs and distance is irrelevant. As per wife's instructions the spending limit is $3,000 tops. Anybody have any recommendations for a great breeder?

Scott: I've had Griffons for the past 30 years. I do some reputable breeders. I'm sending you a PM so check your box, as I would like to talk to you about what in particular that you are looking for in your new dog.

I realize I'm a little late to the party on this, but if you're up for a drive to MI, North Star Kennels in Kalamazoo breeds some good dogs. Phil helped me with training my Vizsla in 2007 when we did the NAVHDA Utility test together (both dogs scored Prize 1s, so that was a great day!). He's usually got a pretty good waiting list, but it would be worth a phone call to see what he's got or breedings he knows about.

He's been hammering the walleye this week, so he's probably ready to start thinking about dogs instead of fish.

Good luck!

Also a little late to the party, but I’ve ran my dog with some North Star dogs at the Kalamazoo NAHVDA training days and they are solid! There’s also some top-notch breeders in Wisconsin, and I got my Griff from Rawley Point Kennels in Muskegon and have been happy.

I have a Griffon. Amazing pup. Amazing hunter and family member. The most gentle dog I've ever had, especially around kiddos. Good choice!

I purchased a pup last fall from Kanzakaw Wirehaired Pointing Griffon's and owner Kevin Crisp out of the Lawrence area in Kansas. I am very happy with the dog. He is great in the house, and he recently passed his NAVHDA Natural Ability test and has shown great promise for this and future hunting seasons.
As with any dog, I would make sure to do your research and find a reputable breeder. Griffs are becoming more and more common, so it is becoming more and more important to make sure you get a pup from someone who is looking to maintain the breeds high genetic standards. There are a few breeders out there that seem to care less about that aspect of it and just want to capitalize on the increase in popularity. I'd make sure to ask about all the standard health things (eyes, hips, etc.) and also be aware of the recessive "tan gene" that some dogs carry. It is considered an undesirable genetic defect.

Scott: I've had Griffons for the past 30 years. I do some reputable breeders. I'm sending you a PM so check your box, as I would like to talk to you about what in particular that you are looking for in your new dog.
pointingdogsrule, do you happen still know some breeders. I am looking to get a WPG. thanks

Old thread but my Griff is 4 months old now. VERY different than the goldens I grew up with, but in the best way possible. He constantly impresses me with how smart he is, but he is also quite stubborn when he wants to be. His nickname is "velcro"...I can't go to the bathroom without him whining at the door.

I bought my first Griff from Bob Ward in 1969. I even brought 4 dogs from Germany. After all these years all I can say is shop carefully. As a breed they are very good dogs if they match your personality. Not every strain is great. Over the years of dogs I have purchased about 20% that did not have characteristics worth breeding. With increased popularity it really scares me.

Meg Eaton. Terrebonne , Ore. Westwind Kennels. She's on facebook. Has some of the best I've ever watched.

Also a little late to the party, but I’ve ran my dog with some North Star dogs at the Kalamazoo NAHVDA training days and they are solid! There’s also some top-notch breeders in Wisconsin, and I got my Griff from Rawley Point Kennels in Muskegon and have been happy.
How's your dogs hunting drive? I've been hesitant to get a WPG over a GSP because of people saying their hunting style is really slow. From videos of them hunting, they don't seem that enthusiastic. Also, if you have it obedience trained, or trained to wing and shot, how was the training process with him? Was it difficult to get them to do multiple repetitions?

I've been hesitant to get a WPG over a GSP because of people saying their hunting style is really slow. From videos of them hunting, they don't seem that enthusiastic.
My griff is by no means a burner like a GSP, but he doesn't hunt slow. If you've had GSPs and switch to a griff, then you'll think they're slow.

Mine is taller than most griffs are and has long legs so he can cover a lot of ground with less effort, hence is able to hunt for a long time.

Also, mine has as much drive/enthusiasm towards hunting as any dog I've ever been around. He gets up each morning to check what pants I'm putting on. Jeans/work pants = back to bed. Hunting pants = starts quivering in anticipation/excitment.

My griff is by no means a burner like a GSP, but he doesn't hunt slow. If you've had GSPs and switch to a griff, then you'll think they're slow.

Mine is taller than most griffs are and has long legs so he can cover a lot of ground with less effort, hence is able to hunt for a long time.

Also, mine has as much drive/enthusiasm towards hunting as any dog I've ever been around. He gets up each morning to check what pants I'm putting on. Jeans/work pants = back to bed. Hunting pants = starts quivering in anticipation/excitment.
That sounds pretty good! What breeder did you get him from? Also, if you did obedience training or any other type of training (steady to wing and shot, water retrieve, trailing) what was his tolerance for training like? Did he not want to do repetitions? Was he hard headed at all or was he very eager to learn?

How's your dogs hunting drive? I've been hesitant to get a WPG over a GSP because of people saying their hunting style is really slow. From videos of them hunting, they don't seem that enthusiastic. Also, if you have it obedience trained, or trained to wing and shot, how was the training process with him? Was it difficult to get them to do multiple repetitions?
Oh man this is an old thread! I now have two Griff’s!

My dogs hunt like mad. They’ve got just as much bird drive as any other versatile breed, including GSP’s. This year I’ve shot pointed grouse, woodcock, and wild pheasants over them, and they’ve retrieved geese.

They’re going to be slower than GSP’s, with the possibility of running closer. That being said, one of mine runs at about 150 yards on open ground and 75 yards in the woods.

I believe their popularity and “Instagramability” is killing the breed. If you get one, look for a a breeder that has either got an AKC Senior hunt title on both dogs, or a UT prize on both dogs AND hunts wild birds. A lot of people are training for the tests and then breeding the dogs because of the paycheck.

My older Griff scored a 200 Prize II in the UT test be my younger is two passes away from a Master’s AKC hunt test title and will run the UT this fall.

My next dog is a field trial setter, but that’s a whole different story!

Attachments

• F3A7BA0F-1E53-4799-9A5C-F764360EBC1B.jpeg
    F3A7BA0F-1E53-4799-9A5C-F764360EBC1B.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 35C76D72-4A62-4C96-9333-308C2663D0BE.jpeg
    35C76D72-4A62-4C96-9333-308C2663D0BE.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 13
  • C7D6FC1E-12F8-40B1-AEF6-B6CF80F1F7B9.jpeg
    C7D6FC1E-12F8-40B1-AEF6-B6CF80F1F7B9.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 13
That sounds pretty good! What breeder did you get him from? Also, if you did obedience training or any other type of training (steady to wing and shot, water retrieve, trailing) what was his tolerance for training like? Did he not want to do repetitions? Was he hard headed at all or was he very eager to learn?
I can PM you his info.
I did basic obedience with him but I had him professionally trained. Obedience wise, he was fine. Eager to learn. Very smart. I have lacked on keeping up with basic obedience and I allow him to get away with too much, but he knows when I mean business and responds.
I sent him off first summer to a trainer who worked with him and then ran him in his NAVHDA Natural Ability test. The breeder we used asked if we’d at a minimum do the NA test just to help back up his bloodlines with proven data.
I regret not going further with training, hand signals, work on searching, etc. I’ve got 2 kids under 4 and just didn’t have the time to do more.
We have fun and get birds, so I’m happy.

What health clearances should the dam and sire have before breeding? With labs typically hips,elbows, eyes,CNM, and EIC (exrercised induced collapse).

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back