Breeder recommendation for Wirehaired Pointing Griffon

Scott85

After about 2 years of research at looking into versatile hunting breed I have picked the WPG, now I am looking for a breeder. Pup must come health certs and distance is irrelevant. As per wife's instructions the spending limit is $3,000 tops. Anybody have any recommendations for a great breeder?

pointingdogsrule

Scott: I've had Griffons for the past 30 years. I do some reputable breeders. I'm sending you a PM so check your box, as I would like to talk to you about what in particular that you are looking for in your new dog.

Steelsearchin

I realize I'm a little late to the party on this, but if you're up for a drive to MI, North Star Kennels in Kalamazoo breeds some good dogs. Phil helped me with training my Vizsla in 2007 when we did the NAVHDA Utility test together (both dogs scored Prize 1s, so that was a great day!). He's usually got a pretty good waiting list, but it would be worth a phone call to see what he's got or breedings he knows about.

He's been hammering the walleye this week, so he's probably ready to start thinking about dogs instead of fish.

Good luck!

PawPawWPG

Also a little late to the party, but I’ve ran my dog with some North Star dogs at the Kalamazoo NAHVDA training days and they are solid! There’s also some top-notch breeders in Wisconsin, and I got my Griff from Rawley Point Kennels in Muskegon and have been happy.

I have a Griffon. Amazing pup. Amazing hunter and family member. The most gentle dog I've ever had, especially around kiddos. Good choice!

Wild Bill

I purchased a pup last fall from Kanzakaw Wirehaired Pointing Griffon's and owner Kevin Crisp out of the Lawrence area in Kansas. I am very happy with the dog. He is great in the house, and he recently passed his NAVHDA Natural Ability test and has shown great promise for this and future hunting seasons.
As with any dog, I would make sure to do your research and find a reputable breeder. Griffs are becoming more and more common, so it is becoming more and more important to make sure you get a pup from someone who is looking to maintain the breeds high genetic standards. There are a few breeders out there that seem to care less about that aspect of it and just want to capitalize on the increase in popularity. I'd make sure to ask about all the standard health things (eyes, hips, etc.) and also be aware of the recessive "tan gene" that some dogs carry. It is considered an undesirable genetic defect.