Caribou Gear Tarp

Breakfast Sausage recipes?

RobG

My son has Celiac and we are aiming for 100% gluten free until things settle down. I don't want to worry about funny ingredients in pre-packaged spice mixes when it is easy enough to make your own. What are good recipes for venison breakfast sausage?

I threw together a batch with my own ingredients last year with my ewe. When I get home tomorrow I'll see if I can find my recipe.

Here's one I use. The original calls for pork, but I've used it with goose and venison and enjoy both. Scale it up to whatever quantity you want.

16 oz ground meat
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Dried parsley
1/4 tsp. Rubbed sage ( more if you like the sage flavor)
1/4 tsp. Fresh coarse ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. Dried thyme ( or more)
1/4 tsp. Crushed red pepper flakes ( optional)
1/4 tsp. Coriander
1/4 tsp. Msg ( I've always left this out)

This is one of the better recipes I've tried, but I really enjoy the sage and herb flavored breakfast sausage.

I haven't done Venison but the pig we bought the sausage was not seasoned. I used something very similar to above only I added Fennel as well which is a key flavor in a typical breakfast sausage. I would just start with something like this and do a few trial runs with small amounts until you get what your family prefers.

My wife has Celiac and does OK with the A C Legg seasonings I get. I get regular breakfast and maple breakfast and chorizo and italian.

I don't remember the exact recipe, but I got mine from allrecipes.com. I listened to the comments and added extra sage and pepper.

I haven't done Venison but the pig we bought the sausage was not seasoned. I used something very similar to above only I added Fennel as well which is a key flavor in a typical breakfast sausage. I would just start with something like this and do a few trial runs with small amounts until you get what your family prefers.

Fennel. Going to have to try that. Might be the "something" I sometimes feel is missing. Thanks for the tip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back