Breach dams and lose power?

Ithaca 37

Paul, Tell us how much power we'll lose if the dams are breached!!

"No big power loss

On the day that President Bush visited Ice Harbor Dam, the dam´s generators were producing about 70 average megawatts.

Meanwhile back in Texas, a hundred power plants could have produced more energy. Of these, the W.A. Parish power plant could have generated nearly 4,000 megawatts all by itself. Seven other power plants could have produced 2,000 to 3,000 megawatts. An additional 14 power plants could have produced 1,000 to 2,000 megawatts. And 31 other power plants could have produced 500 to 1,000 megawatts.

I would have liked for our president to relate the facts: Ice Harbor and the other Snake River dams are old, weak and unreliable generating technology.

Removing them to aid salmon is no big deal for our energy supply.

Reed Burkholder, Boise

http://www.idahostatesman.com/Opinion/story.asp?ID=49147

Ithaca,

What energy source is used to operate the Texas power plants? Coal? Natural gas? Nuclear? How do you feel about using these particular energy sources and their associated problems? How about the extraction of these forms of energy, are you in favor of it? How about if we extract them from Canada or Mexico, and leave our homeland alone? Would this be O K? I told you before and I'll tell you again. Use electricity, and you are a salmon killer, just like all the rest of us. Best thing you can do is quit using electricty, or invest in your own electrical generation system. I'm betting that you are too cheap to do the later. So quit your snibbling, Salmon Killer.

Paul

Paul, What you're incapable of comphrehending is that we're able to produce surplus electricity in the US. There's no need for the tiny amount produced by the dams. We can eliminate it and there will be no effect on the supply of electricity.
smile.gif

Hey Ithica. Your letter seems to be overpowered by all the other whiney, bleeding heart liberal bullshit in that column... Maybe if you had developed some kind of conspiracy theory against Bush they would have put it at the top so it would get more attention?

Here let me point to the misleading discrepencies in your post, and maybe you'll do your own research.
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> On the day that President Bush visited Ice Harbor Dam, the dam´s generators were producing about 70 average megawatts.

Meanwhile back in Texas, a hundred power plants could have produced more energy. Of these, the W.A. Parish power plant could have generated nearly 4,000 megawatts all by itself. Seven other power plants could have produced 2,000 to 3,000 megawatts. An additional 14 power plants could have produced 1,000 to 2,000 megawatts. And 31 other power plants could have produced 500 to 1,000 megawatts.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Woulda, coulda, shoulda, but didn't both to compare apples to apples.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

More misleading dribble.
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-16-2003 17:59: Message edited by: Ten Bears ]</font>

Actually, for you idiots who don't know anything about the dam situation, Reed Burkholder is the top expert on the issue. He's the one who figured out what a boondoggle the whole mess is and started educating people about it 15 years ago. Someday, when the dams are breached, they should erect a statue of Mr. Burkholder at the site. He'll be the one responsible for saving the salmon and saving the US taxpayers billions of dollars.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda, clarified the issue by posting answers, but side stepped instead. You started the post but don't want to back it?? OK, watch your stepback pedaling.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I was just pointing out the "slanted" nature of the information.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back