Braking in a hew Howa riffle barrel

D4570

Dang, that's a boring exercise.
The Granddaughter got a Howa mini action 20 barrel 6.5 Grendle for her birthday She is 12 now and needs her own rifle.

IMG-20210601-170720.jpg

I found her one for a very good price new in the box. Fanangled a hundred bullets plus 20 more brass.
Got some bases and rings and a Bushnell 4x12 scope. It took about 2 weeks to get everything gathered and assembled. We went fishing/ shooting yesterday, the First day under 100* in a week.
fish.jpg

fish-n.jpg

Took the cleaning supplies and a space blanket to sit on and a box to shoot at. After a few hours of fishing, she decided we needed to go shoot it. Only a 15-minute drive and we found a spot with short grass and a 100-yard shooting lane to a good backstop.
josie-and-grendel.jpg

She gets all ready AND shoots, stops unloads the gun pulls the bolt and I cleaned and swabbed, shoot, and repeat. Ten times, yuk good thing there was a good breeze it kept the bugs down. The next 10 we could shoot two then clean, DANG. She was very happy when we were finished. I hoped we could get the scope lined up but she was ready to be done.
josie-end-of-day.jpg

Ok Home we went, a good day, got a lot of fish, saw a big bull snake, Hooked a big softshell turtle and shot her new gun 20 times.

Nice. Wish my daughters would shoot more. Shoot and clean and then repeat is boring but I feel good in the long run. I like to clean and then leave gun with oil in barrel in hot car. Kind of like seasoning a cast iron skillet. Wife loves it when I "accidentally" get hopps on something. Love the smell hate the work.

Back