Caribou Gear Tarp

Bozeman MT Millie Fire

What Map

There is a 10,000 acre fire 15 miles south of Bozeman. Here is a pic from my back yard last week:

Millie Fire Sept 1 2012.jpg

But there is good news this morning:

Millie Fire Update
8:00 a.m. Sep 6, 2012

For Immediate Release

Contact Us:

Email: [email protected]

Web: www.inciweb.org

Phone: (877) 405-0033 7:00 am ? 10:00 pm

(877) 390-4323 7:00 am ? 10:00 pm

Todays Weather Provides Opportunity for Continued Progress

Bozeman, MT ? The Millie Fire, twenty miles south of Bozeman, is 10,196 acres and is now 25 percent contained. Extremely rough terrain makes work slow, but today?s forecast promises conditions conducive to building on yesterday?s accomplishments.

Skies will be partly cloudy with 4-6 mph wind on ridge tops, relative humidity of about 30%, and temperature approaching 60 degrees. These conditions are likely to subdue fire intensity, allowing firefighters to work directly on the fire edge in most places.

On the west side of the fire, crews will be cooling off heat along the line. On the north side, crews will move east with hose lays to douse heat and build containment line toward the upper end of South Cottonwood Creek. Crews will mop up along the containment line on the south flank, moving east, and build additional line toward the extreme east end of the fire.

Reconnaissance and planning for contingency line location in Hyalite Canyon and in Cottonwood Canyon continue.

Helicopters will be dropping water to slow fire progression throughout the day as conditions allow. They will also provide reconnaissance and equipment supply support.

Crews camping on the north end of the fire remain alert for the presence of large predators, as the frequency of bear sightings increases.

Today there are 14 crews, 20 engines, four helicopters, eight dozers and four water tenders working on the fire. A total of 540 personnel are assigned to the incident.

A Fire Information meeting will be conducted tonight at Hope Lutheran Church, 2152 W. Graf St., in Bozeman.

Forest closures remain in effect to provide public and firefighter safety. Motorists are reminded to be vigilant for fire traffic along U. S. Highway 191 and throughout the general vicinity of the fire.

We should be ok as long as it doesn't blow hard before it snows.

If you live/hunt in this part of Montana, this will be a great place to hunt spring bear next year and elk next fall. I keep maps of every fire I know of. I categorize them by year of fire. Then I try to hunt those areas one to three years following the fire. Often these fires are in easy-to-draw units and for a few years following a fire, the hunting in these ares will be as good as some of the adjacent glory units.

Now that I have made that announcement and PO'd everyone who planned to hunt there next year, I will cross this burn area off my list. Sorry guys. Just trying to provide a few tips.

Now that I have made that announcement and PO'd everyone who planned to hunt there next year, I will cross this burn area off my list. Sorry guys. Just trying to provide a few tips.

Well after that anouncement for the area behind my house. I believe Utah, Colorado, Wyoming and Idaho are all on fire right now. Please heed the said advice and hunt those states. :confused::eek:;)

Well after that anouncement for the area behind my house. I believe Utah, Colorado, Wyoming and Idaho are all on fire right now. Please heed the said advice and hunt those states. :confused::eek:;)

+1 really I'm sure the hunting will be much better in Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, as well as most other places hunting is allowed :)

Here's a shot or two of Millie I took.
321790_3829186687152_226555307_o.jpg

287512_3829186007135_853514240_o.jpg

Great pics! Geez, Fin. You let the cat out of the bag. Only you and 50,000 other people knew about the fire deal.:D There is going to be lots of pretty country all over the west if it ever rains again. Mother Nature is taking care of business this year.

I hope that I can put together my bear hunt for next spring, so that I can go invade some of your fire areas!;)

I'm try to figure out what elk units are invoved with the Millie Fire. As near as I can tell, the fire is currently on the edge of 301 and 314. but I'm not 100% certain. I thought I new this area well, but .............................

Here's the current map from readygallatin.com:
millie_iap_8-5x11.jpg

Last edited:
Oh no. There's plenty of goats in them mountains, but that's it. Nothing else. Should have used my tag on one of them last year. Thwak you're an asshole.

Attachments

• goat1.jpg
    goat1.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 336
  • goat2.jpg
    goat2.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 342
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members