Yeti GOBOX Collection

Bozeman goat country snow

cmhunt

Anybody know how much snow the goat country south of Bozeman got?

Havent been up in the Mountains but they've been socked in since Saturday. Snowtel sites are reporting between 2-4" of settled snow on their stations (<-Link) but willing to bet there's a fair bit more in wind-drifts and such.

Supposed to be 70 next week.
Bozeman Chronicle forecast is for 65 degrees F high next Tuesday, with freezing lows this week for down in Bozeman. The Gallatin and Madison ranges received snowfall which stayed up high weeks ago and lately was covered by much more. It looks like snow above 7,000 ft elevation will likely remain until next spring, absent any significant warming spell. But even though I am acquainted with the local meteorologist, I have absolutely no expertise in forecasting ... other than looking up at the Peaks and guessing what the weather is next hour. :)

I am acquainted with the local meteorologist, I have absolutely no expertise in forecasting ...

Yeah, well neither does he, if we are judging by how wrong the forecast for the next 10 hours usually is.

The sheep hunt was full of there being a 0% chance there will be precipitation in two hours, changing to there is a 100% chance it is currently snowing two hours later.
It became comical after a few days.

This website has been pretty damned accurate over the last many years I have used it. Way, way more often than not, NOAA gets it right.
Having worked outside in the tuleys of SW MT for over 30 years, as well as spending most days off playing outside, it's been nice to have this resource to check with.
However, if anybody depends on any source to do a great job of predicting weather in the extreme high country, they get what they get............................

Yeah, well neither does he, if we are judging by how wrong the forecast for the next 10 hours usually is.

The sheep hunt was full of there being a 0% chance there will be precipitation in two hours, changing to there is a 100% chance it is currently snowing two hours later.
It became comical after a few days.

I've learned this the hard way too many times.

Thanks guys. Work is really getting in the way of venturing into the high country. Hopefully next weekend........

Snow wasn't terrible, kept us, and the goats, out of the alpine. but this storm makes my info go out there window

Last edited:
Back