Boyd's for a Ruger American?

cbang65

Hi all,
I've been thinking about restocking my do-all Ruger American Standard. It's still got the flimsy plastic stock it comes with, and I'm wanting to replace it with a Boyd's At-one stock. Only trouble is I'm not sure if the extra cash to get it pillar and glass bedded is worth getting on top of the new stock to begin with. The At-ones are about $185 to start, and the bedding is another $250 or so at the gunsmiths I've looked at. Does the bedding do THAT much to warrant the extra expense?

The ruger is my do all gun, so I don't shoot it much beyond hunting and checking zeros, etc. But I'd like the extra weight of the laminate stock to tame the .30-06 a little more.

Also: opinions on laminate stocks? I've heard they don't warp like normal wood, one of the biggest reasons I'm considering them. Any info you guys have is appreciated.

I have several laminates that I've hunted in pretty rough weather and subjected to fairly harsh treatment, and they've held up well.. A few scratches/scuffs here and there, no warping issues though. A couple are from Boyd's.

I'd probably not spend the extra money for the gunsmithing on a RA. Glass bedding is fairly easy to DIY. I put a Boyd's on my Mossberg .30/06, glass bedded, and called it good.

If you're doing this partly for recoil, make sure and upgrade to the Limbsaver or Pachmayr recoil pad.

I personally can't stand the looks of the At-One stock, but tastes do vary so order what you like.

One thought on the At-One stocks. If this is for big game hunting I would go with something like the Boyd's "Classic" stock. From my perspective the At-One is more for prone targets, bench targets and bench varmints - it's kind of a laminate take on PRS stocks. It is heavier than the more traditional stock and the shape is a little odd in the hand for long walks. YMMV.

Plenty of how to videos on youtube about bedding and pillars if you want to try it yourself and save some of the cash.
The “Social Regressive” on YouTube has a series of video clips called the “1,000 yard $500 rifle” that does a nice job of walking through a change to Boyd laminate stock including pillars and action bedding.

I have several laminates that I've hunted in pretty rough weather and subjected to fairly harsh treatment, and they've held up well.. A few scratches/scuffs here and there, no warping issues though. A couple are from Boyd's.

I'd probably not spend the extra money for the gunsmithing on a RA. Glass bedding is fairly easy to DIY. I put a Boyd's on my Mossberg .30/06, glass bedded, and called it good.

If you're doing this partly for recoil, make sure and upgrade to the Limbsaver or Pachmayr recoil pad.

I personally can't stand the looks of the At-One stock, but tastes do vary so order what you like.
Glad to hear it. I've heard they are pretty sturdy because they are stuffed full of epoxy... glad that rumor is true. And the recoil isn't too bad on it, it's just that stock is so light, and my scope isn't too big. Tops out at about 7.5lbs scoped,I'd just like a little more heft because I do mostly ambush hunting and don't have to worry so much about carrying it over the next ridge.

Yeah it can be intimidating the first time. I usually spend as much time as I can reading and watching videos before I dive into a new project.

Been thinking about it myself. We have a youth model that all the kids that hunt in my house have outgrown.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back