Caribou Gear Tarp

Bow problems.....

Hof

So.... I shoot pretty much year round and have become very proficient with my bow. About a week or so ago I was out shooting and I started noticing a pretty nasty tail kick on my arrows as they were headed down range. I went straight to the paper and sure enough I had a 2" nock right tear. I checked every thing over and everything seemed perfect. I mark my sight and rest where they are set, just in case something ever gets knocked off I will be able to tell.

2 different rests and 2 bow shops later I finally decided to try putting my old original 60lb limbs back on as a last ditch effort. This was after being told that I probably had a bent cam axle or a warped cam. I do not have time to deal with either of these issues with 12 days left until the MT opener. So I go swap out the limbs and Ill be damned if the thing isn't cutting perfect bullet holes.

This leaves me with a couple questions. Do limbs wear out? The bow is a 2007 Bowtech commander that I had put 208 delfection limbs (70 lbs) this bow is parallel limbs with a pivot point in the middle of the limb. There is nothing on the limbs that I could see to show which one had gone soft. But one must have to cause the type of tear I was getting.

The reason I put 70 lb limbs on my bow was for elk hunting. How many of you are shooting 60 lbs and how much of a speed/ kinetic energy difference does it really make? If I can get my hands on a 70 or 80 lb cpxl by the end of the week I am pretty sure I want to make the jump. Also according to the chart going from 70 lbs to 60 at 32" draw I should be going back to 340 spine from 300..... big deal being overspined?

These are NOT the things I wanted to be thinking about right before my hunt!

I am guessing your limbs are twisted near the pockets. It can happen with any manufacturer and can really br expedited with the need for speed so to speak. The lighter the arrow-head the faster the limbs can whip. Also, if the bow is subject to excessive heat, it can speed up the warpring process. You may also want to check your limb pockets, but it sounds like they should be ok if the new limbs are still spot on. Over-spinning isn't as big a deal as underspining, but being overspined results in a stiffer arrow that can cause tuning issues as arrows are made to flex according to the bows limb weight. They can also overwork a set of limbs over extended use, but that is minimal. Spine and arrow weight are different animals.

Oh I forgot to add that when we pulled the bow on the scale with the 70lb limbs it was only measuring 64 lbs.
This is why I think one of the limbs just went bad.... cam was probably being overtorqued by the good limb on every release causing the nasty kick.

You spot is a tough one to be in, but it sounds like you will make it through. A lot goes into arrow flight but if they tune they tune. You can always play with your tip weights to "soften" the arrow if your concerned its to stiff. But, if your getting good bullet holes and they are sticking in the bale straight you should be good to go. As for your original problem, I would do this after season. How are your strings, are they two or more seasons old. If so get new ones, I believe bowtech uses 454. Rip the bow apart down to the last clip and check it all. Spin your axels and cam to ensure their straight. Check for cracks in your limbs, you won't be able to check for much regarding them though. Get the bow back together and back to spec, once your ata, brace, and weight are right you can tweak cam. There are other things to check but that's the big picture. You can get limbs through your dealer and potentially under warranty. When its all said and done, 70# is that big of deal with today's bows.

when we pulled the bow on the scale with the 70lb limbs it was only measuring 64 lbs

If this happens with the limbs all the way tightened down then I'd suspect your string has stretched or like you suggested, a bad limb.
What I don't understand is how you are unable to tune your bow. A two inch paper tear right should be resolved by moving your rest accordingly. If you finally figure it out please post up what you found.

The string and cables were brand new from twisted archer. It was a bad limb. I am just not sure what would cause this as I had never seen anything like it before. Fortunately I still had them in the cabinet as they were the originals. With the 60lb limbs the bow is tack driving again. I tried 3 different rests trying to get rid of the tear, maxxed all of them out and the tear never changed. I am back in business.... however I think this is going to be my backup bow now, especially since limbs for this bow are getting pretty few and far between. I looked around for a new set of 70lb and couldn't find much. Pretty sure I just gave myself a good reason to get the CPXL.... haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back