Yeti GOBOX Collection

Bought a bow - now what?

Use up those lessons before you do anything. Learning good fundamentals from the get go, without anything else to worry about (yardage, weather, wind, animals) will pay dividends down the road when you start to layer in those variables.

Agreed. For right now I wouldn't give two shits about how far you're shooting.

Learn good form and develop a proper shot sequence.

jzeck2, I agree on the Archers Addiction. Dealt with Archery Outfitters right down the road and would rather travel the 5 extra miles to go to Archers Addiction. Treats you right and has the 3D range and stationary range up to 50 yards or so.

Everyone pretty much said what I was going to, but I'll add a couple things...
1) set your closest pin at 20 yards, but go ahead and practice at 10 until you have the basics down, form, release, follow through etc.
2) once you become confident, start practicing at random distances, i.e. 27,42... deer won't stop at exact ranges, and its invaluable to know what pin to use and where to hold at varying ranges.
3) make sure you know how to adjust your site, and rest, and always carry allen wrenches with you in the field. I dropped my bow once while hunting and knocked the site off. I always mark where I finally set my sites, so luckily I was able to get it back close to zero.
hope that helps a bit.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back